Roger Mayweather vs. Vinny Pazienza
Roger Mayweather 140 lbs beat Vinny Pazienza 140 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 1988-11-07
- Location: Caesars Palace, Outdoor Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Judge: Lou Filippo 117-110
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Vince Delgado 117-110
- Judge: Dalby Shirley 118-108
"Roger Mayweather, taunted by Vinny Pazienza throughout the fight, said he didn't want to knock out Pazienza. Mayweather, content to counter-punch for most of the fight against the charging Pazienza, took a unanimous decision and was well ahead on all three judges cards. Pazienza was the aggressor most of the way, but Mayweather was never hurt. Mayweather asserted clear control of the fight in the later rounds and floored Pazienza late in the 11th. The two fighters kept going at each other after the bell numerous times, then when the final bell rang, Pazienza's manager, Lou Duva, rushed across the ring menacingly toward Mayweather. Mayweather threw a punch and Duva went to the ground as referee Mills Lane tried to keep the two apart." -Associated Press
- Unofficial AP scorecard - 117-111 Mayweather
- A spokesman for the Duva camp said after the fight that Lou was just trying to make certain the fighters would quit throwing punches after the bell.
- This bout was fought on the undercard to the Sugar Ray Leonard - Donnie Lalonde title fight. Also on this card was the super flyweight title fight between defending champ Gilberto Roman and Sugar Baby Rojas.