Micky Ward vs. Jermal Corbin
Micky Ward 143 lbs beat Jermal Corbin 141 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 5 of 10
- Date: 1999-07-16
- Location: Hampton Beach Casino, Hampton Beach, New Hampshire, USA
- Referee: Norm Veilleux
- Aired On: ESPN Friday Night Fights (Main Event)
- Micky Ward 32-9 (23 KOs) vs. Jermal Corbin 17-2 (14 KOs)
- Ward entered with a record of 2-2 in his previous four bouts, with losses to Zab Judah and Vince Phillips. Corbin entered on a three-fight win streak against opponents who carried a 7-45-5 combined record.
- It was Corbin's first and only bout scheduled for ten rounds. He did not fight again after this loss.
Corbin fought the opening round trying to maintain distance and land the right hand. Ward came forward looking to get on the inside and work to the body. In round 2, Ward was able to close distance and fight his fight on the inside. As he often did in his career, he switched between orthodox and southpaw stances. Ward began to bleed from the nose midway through Round 2 a result of some solid uppercuts Corbin threw on the inside with Ward leaning. In rounds 3 and 4 Corbin seemed content to trade on the inside with Ward and the two rounds were mostly in-fighting; a style that benefited Ward. In the final seconds of the 4th, Corbin was against the ropes having taken some punishment. Ward continued to pour it on fighting on the inside early in round 5. He snapped back the head of Corbin with uppercuts in close and worked occasionally with hooks to the body. Aside from a few punches early, Corbin barely threw in Round 5. Following the end of Round 5, Corbin, when asked, advised the referee he did not want to continue.
- "Jermal Corbin has been made to order for Micky Ward tonight." - Bob Papa