Hedgemon Lewis vs. Carlos Palomino
Carlos Palomino 147 lbs drew with Hedgemon Lewis 148 lbs by MD in round 10 of 10
- Date: 1975-11-22
- Location: Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Judge: Lou Filippo 6-3
- Referee: Rudy Jordan 4-4
- Judge: Pat Murphy 3-3
"Ringwise Hedgemon Lewis gave Carlos Palomino a boxing lesson at the Olympic Auditorium, although settling for a draw in their 10 round welterweight bout. There were no knockdowns. Palomino spent the first eight rounds trying to get a fix on his elusive prey. Lewis needed only the first round to learn it wouldn't pay to press his younger and stronger foe, so he settled into the fencing game that had confounded most of his opponents. Lewis seemed awfully weary at the finish, especially after he got careless in close and Palomino wobbled his knees with a stiff left and overhand right with a minute remaining in the 9th. Both sides indicated they would be agreeable to a rematch." -Long Beach Press-Telegram
- Unofficial Press-Telegram scorecard - 6-6 Draw
- Unofficial Pasadena Star-News scorecard - 7-3 Lewis
- Hedgemon Lewis had signed to fight Harold Weston in MSG on December 12th prior to this bout.
- After the Weston bout a rematch was signed between Palomino and Lewis to take place on January 22, 1976 at the Olympic Auditorium. However, Lewis got the nod for a title shot at John Stracey for March of '76 and the rematch was scrubbed.
Post fight comments
- "I was just a little cautious. in the early rounds especially, I wasn't doing what we'd worked on. Then in the 9th I thought I hurt him, but I couldn't get there with the shot I needed." -Carlos Palomino
- I kept waiting to be that old man you guys were writing about all week. It never happened." -Hedgemon Lewis