George Foreman vs. Gerry Cooney
(Redirected from Fight:4004)Jump to navigation Jump to search
George Foreman 253 lbs beat Gerry Cooney 231 lbs by TKO at 1:57 in round 2 of 10
- Date: 1990-01-15
- Location: Convention Center, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Debra Barnes
- Judge: Henry Eugene Grant
- Judge: Vincent Rainone
- The fight was promoted by Bob Arum and hosted by Caesars Atlantic City at the Convention Center.
- The fight was billed as "The Preacher vs. The Puncher." Critics called it "The Geezers at Caesars."
- There was a crowd of 12,581 at the Convention Center.
- The fight was shown on closed-circuit TV and pay-per-view.
- Each boxer was guaranteed $1 million.
- This was Cooney's first fight in 2½ years.
- Gil Clancy trained Cooney for the fight.
- Cooney hurt Foreman in the first round with a left hook. After the fight, Foreman said Cooney "hit me harder than anyone I've ever been in the ring with."
- Foreman knocked Cooney down twice in the second round.