James Toney vs. Mike McCallum (1st meeting)
Mike McCallum 158 lbs drew with James Toney 159 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 1991-12-13
- Location: Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Judge: Tom Kaczmarek 115-113
- Referee: Steve Smoger
- Judge: Gary Merritt 112-116
- Judge: Robert Cox 114-114
- International Boxing Federation Middleweight Title (Toney's 3rd defense)
- See also:
This fight was originally going to be a unification fight between IBF champion Toney and WBA champion McCallum, but the WBA stripped McCallum of their title on December 3, 1991. They demanded he defend against Steve Collins, whom he defeated decisively the previously year.
"The WBA wanted $30,000 from McCallum's purse, plus a $35,000 exception fee for letting him fight Toney," said Milton Chwasky, McCallum's attorney. "We were going to go along with that. Then they came back and demanded we give Barney Eastwood, Collins's manager, another $50,000 for stepping aside. That's when we said no."
Toney vs. Dell'Aquila
| IBF Middleweight Title Fight
Toney vs. Tiberi