Jorge Fernando Castro vs. John David Jackson (1st meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Jorge Castro 160 lbs beat John David Jackson 160 lbs by TKO at 2:34 in round 9 of 12
- Date: 1994-12-10
- Location: Estadio de Beisbol, Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
- Judge: Guy Jutras 71-80
- Referee: Stanley Christodoulou
- Judge: Hector Hernandez Vilchis 73-80
- Judge: Eduardo Luna 74-79
- WBA Middleweight Championship (2nd defense by Castro)
- Jackson was attempting to regain the WBA middleweight championship, which he held from October 1993 to May 1994. He was stripped of the title for participating in a non-title bout without the permission of the WBA.
- The card was promoted by Don King and televised live on pay-per-view.
- Castro vs. Jackson was one of five world title fights on the card, which was billed as Noche de Campeones (Night of Champions). The other four title bouts were Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Tony Lopez, Felix Trinidad vs. Oba Carr, Frankie Randall vs. Rodney Moore, and Ricardo Lopez vs. Yamil Caraballo.
- Castro was cut over both eyes in the seventh round.
- Castro, far behind on the scorecards, was being battered along the ropes in the ninth round when he suddenly dropped Jackson with a left hook to the jaw. Jackson was able to rise but was soon sent back to the canvas. After a third knockdown, the referee stopped the fight.
- The fight was named 1994 Fight of the Year by The Ring Magazine, and the ninth round was named Round of the Year.