Carlos Ortiz vs. Tommy Tibbs
Carlos Ortiz 136 lbs beat Tommy Tibbs 132 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Date: 1958-02-28
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Harry Kessler 5-4
- Judge: Joe Agnello 8-2
- Judge: Bert Grant 6-4
"Carlos Ortiz, unbeaten in 26 fights, thinks he is ready to mingle with the class of the lightweight division, after the 21 year old won a unanimous decision over tough little Tommy Tibbs. Tibbs, a sturdy little man from Boston, gave Ortiz a rough time in the middle rounds of the 10 round match at MSG. Tibbs gave away weight, height and reach but always kept on the attack. He slammed away at the body when Ortiz tried to coast in the middle rounds." -Associated Press
- Unofficial AP scorecard - 6-4 Ortiz
- This bout was nationally televised.
Post fight comments
- "He is six months ahead of the schedule I had worked out for him. I am going to talk to Harry Markson (of the IBC) about a match with Ralph Dupas or Kenny Lane. This fight was just what Carlos needed after a five month layoff. We knew it was no cinch." -Ed Ferguson, Ortiz' manager, on Ortiz' progress.
- "I thought it could have gone either way. He is a very good boxer with good hand speed." -Tommy Tibbs