Heuck's Opera House
Heuck's Opera House was an indoor theatre in Cincinnati, Ohio located at 1221 Vine Street. The venue was originally known as the Coliseum or Coliseum Opera House and was in operation as early as 1878. The venue was operated by Hubert Heuck who at that time also ran a nearby venue called Heuck's Opera House. In 1884 he renamed the original Heuck's Opera House into the People's Theater, while renaming the Coliseum Opera House into the "New" Heuck's Opera House.
The new Opera House was presented as a "first-class" house, but over time it became known for vaudeville, "blood and thunder melodramas", "horse opera", and eventually high-class burlesque." Hubert Heuck died in 1907, but the venue maintained his name, as his sons continued the operation. As the Over-The-Rhine neighbourhood where the venue was located changed from the original German ethnic makeup to newer immigrants, the theatre's use further declined; further hindered by the demand for moving pictures. By 1931-1932 the theatre had evolved into the Rialto Theater. It remained that until 1959 when it was condemned and demolished. It became a parking lot, which it remains as to today.
As a boxing venue, Heuck's Opera House was used mostly as a boxing venue in the 1910s and 1920s, with it's most use coming during the late 1910s and early 1920s. It's maximum capacity was a little over 2,250 in the early 1920s.
Source: Digging Cincinnati History: