At the 2011 World Amateur Boxing Championships the hard hitting Majidov stopped Uzbek Sardor Abdullayev in the round of 16 and Cuban favorite Erislandy Savon who he dropped heavily in the quarterfinals. In the semis he beat Kazakh Ivan Dychko 16:9. In the final he edged out Englishman Anthony Joshua 22:21.
At the 2012 Olympics he stopped Meji Mwamba and European champion Magomed Omarov from Russia 17:14 and looked on his way to beat defending champion Roberto Cammarelle, leading 8:6 after the first round but the Italian fought back to win 13:12 and Majidov won Bronze.
Majidov started the 2013 AIBA World Boxing Championships with two 3-0 wins over Lenroy Thompson of the United States in the second round, and Magomed Omarov of Russia in the quarter-finals. He continued on to beat Roberto Cammarelle in the semifinals, with a knockdown gained for Majidov in the first round from a big right hand. Despite getting a warning point, he won the bout 3-0 and advanced to the final. In the final, Ivan Dychko of Kazakhstan started brighter, winning the first two rounds on all the judges' scorecards. However, near the beginning of the third round, a knockdown soon followed by another gave Majidov the victory by knockout, and the gold medal.
Olympic games results
2012 (as a Super heavyweight)
- Defeated Meji Mwamba (Democratic Republic of Congo) RSC
- Defeated Magomed Omarov (Russia) 17-14
- Lost to Roberto Cammarelle (Italy) 12-13 (semi-final match, captures bronze)
2016 (as a Super heavyweight)
World amateur championships results
2011 (as a Super heavyweight)
- 1st round bye
- Defeated Sardor Abdullaev (Uzbekistan) RSC
- Defeated Isaias Mena (Colombia) RSC
- Defeated Erislandy Savon (Cuba) RSCH
- Defeated Ivan Dychko (Kazakhstan) 16-9
- Defeated Anthony Joshua (England) 22-21
2013 (as a Super heavyweight)