Yasnier Toledo Lopez
Name: Yasnier Toledo Lopez
Hometown: Camaguey, Cuba
Birthplace: Camaguey, Cuba
Amateur Boxer: Record
Yasniel Toledo Gonzalez Suarez (born 1989) is a Cuban amateur boxer from Pinar del Río who won the PanAm lightweight title in 2011, and a bronze medal as a lightweight at the 2012 Olympic games. He is a southpaw, and currently boxes in the Light welterweight class.
After winning the Under-17 world title in 2005, the following year he lost in the final to Russia's Vladimir Sarukhanyan.
As a senior he stood in the shadows of the near-invincible Guillermo Rigondeaux but when Rigondeaux didn't participate in 2007 he won the national championships against Yankiel Leon and the international tournament Ahmet Comert cup.
In 2008 when Rigondeaux was suspended by the authorities he was defeated by veteran León who is also Cuba's Olympian.
Im 2009 he moved to featherweight and lost the national final to Ivan Onate whom he could beat on another occasion.
In 2012 he was a bronze medalist at the London Olympic games in the lightweight class, losing to eventual gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko.
In 2013, boxing as Light welterweight, he captured a silver medal at the 2013 World Amateur championship, losing to Merey Akshalov.
Olympic Games result
Won the Bronze Medal representing Cuba at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Great Britain, boxing as a Lightweight (60 kg):
- Round 1/8 - Defeated Liu Qiang (China) 14-10
- Quarterfinal - Defeated Gani Zhaylauov (Kazakhstan) 19-11
- Semifinal - Lost to Vasyl Lomachenko (Ukraine) 11-14
Represented Cuba at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, boxing as a Light Welterweight (64 kg):
- Round 1/8 - Defeated Pat McCormack (United Kingdom) 2-1
- Quarterfinal - Lost to Lorenzo Sotomayor (Azerbaijan) 0-3
World championships results
2011 (as a lightweight - 60 kg) in Baku, Azerbaijan
- 1st round bye
- Defeated Angel Gutierrez (Mexico) 13-8
- Defeated Luke Jackson (Australia) 11-10
- Defeated Sailom Ardee (Thailand) 20-9
- Defeated Han Soon-Chul (South Korea) 15-10
- Defeated Gani Zhailauov (Kazakhstan) 21-9
- Lost to Vasyl Lomachenko (Ukraine) 12-17, captures silver medal
2013 (as a Light welteweight - 64 kg) in Almaty, Kazakhstan