Carmen Basilio vs. Sugar Ray Robinson (2nd meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Carmen Basilio 153 lbs lost to Ray Robinson 160 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Date: 1958-03-25
- Location: Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Frank Sikora 69-66
- Judge: Franklin Spike McAdams 64-72
- Judge: John Bray 64-71
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 63-70
- World Middleweight Championship (1st defense by Basilio)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5, Photo #6
- There was a crowd of 17,976.
- The gross gate was $351,955 and the net gate was $278,108.
- Each fighter collected 30% of the net gate, an estimated $300,000 from closed circuit TV and $30,000 from the national radio broadcast.
- Basilio's left eye was swollen shut. The Associated Press reported: "By the time the sixth round started, there was scarcely a slit in the champion's puffed eye."
- A ringside poll had 28 writers scoring the fight for Robinson, one favoring Basilio and one calling it even.
- The fight was named The Ring Fight of the Year for 1958.