Cleveland Williams vs. Bob Cleroux
Cleveland Williams 216 lbs lost to Bob Cleroux 215 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Date: 1968-11-21
- Location: Forum, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Referee: Rosaire Baillargeon
- Judge: Bobby Leitham 44-49
- Judge: Tony Bergeron 45-47
- Judge: Armand Brissette 47-49
"Bob Cleroux, 30 year old former Canadian heavyweight champ, scored a unanimous decision over Cleveland Williams in a 10 round heavyweight fight Thursday night. But his puffed up face indicated he was anything but a winner. Cleroux had four or five visible marks on his face as a result of his match against the giant Texan. His eyes were half-closed and his cheeks were puffed. On the other side of the Montreal Forum, Williams looked more like the winner than the loser. Cleroux had control of the fight in the early going but a hard left from Williams late in the 4th opened a cut over Cleroux's eye and it seemed to take the edge away from the Montrealer. Cleroux almost sent Williams to the canvas with a hard left in the 5th but appeared to lose some strength in the 6th and 7th. Cleroux improved in the 8th, however, after he was warned by referee Baillargeon for butting Williams." -Associated Press
- Attendance - 11,065
- The UPI report on this fight stated that judge Armand Brissette actually scored the fight 49-44 in favor of Cleroux.
- Williams' purse for this bout was a flat $9,000 plus expense money.
Post fight comments
- "He hit me pretty hard in every round, but I managed to cover up." -Bob Cleroux
- "It was a good fight and he was a tough kid, but I was off. I had a couple of openings but I was slow in getting my punches away. But it'll be a different story next time. I'll meet him in a rematch and I'll knock him out." -Cleveland Williams