Matthew Saad Muhammad vs. John Conteh (2nd meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Matthew Saad Muhammad 175 lbs beat John Conteh 175 lbs by TKO at 2:27 in round 4 of 15
- Date: 1980-03-29
- Location: Resorts International, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Octavio Meyran 30-28
- Judge: Charlie Spina 29-28
- Judge: Harry Gibbs 30-28
- World Boxing Council World Light Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Saad Muhammad)
- Ring Announcer: Ed Derian
- Aired On: ABC Wide World of Sports (Main Event)
- See also: Matthew Saad Muhammad vs. John Conteh (1st meeting)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4
- After their first fight, Adolph Ritacco and Nick Belflore, Saad Muhammad's corner men, were suspended by the New Jersey State Athletic Commission for using an illegal adrenalin chloride solution mixed with ground tea leaves to stop the bleeding from the cut above his left eye. The WBC, which allowed only Vaseline or adrenalin chloride 1-1000 to be used on cuts, ordered an immediate rematch.
- Saad Muhammad earned $448,305, a record purse for a light heavyweight at that time, and Conteh received $366,795.
- Saad Muhammad floored Conteh five times in the fourth round. After the fifth knockdown, referee Octavio Meyran stopped the fight.