What are your views on clinching?
-
jeetkunedoka
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 31 Mar 2010, 13:40
What are your views on clinching?
I have noticed in a lot of fights the fighters have been clinching and not doing anything. I think they need to change the rules to include either holding & hitting or throws allowed to stop this stalemate. Also either of theese additions would make it way easier for a smaller fighter to stay close because he can hold on.
please no ranting on how thats the same as ufc or this aint judo because classical Pugilism had clinch fighting & throws for hundreds of years untill the late 1800's.
please no ranting on how thats the same as ufc or this aint judo because classical Pugilism had clinch fighting & throws for hundreds of years untill the late 1800's.
-
The Great John L
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 26 Jul 2005, 19:37
Re: What are your views on clinching?
Many refs do allow hitting in the clinch, and I don't think there is a specific rule against it, as long as your not holding their head with one hand hitting them in the face with the other. Unfortunately, most boxers really don't make any attempt to do anything once a clinch has been initiated.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
Clinching is a legitimate defensive move. As long as they are not holding their opponent in place and unloading, I don't see a problem.
-
Goodnight, Irene
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 9463
- Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 04:43
Re: What are your views on clinching?
Excessive amounts used to actively count against a fighter in the scoring.
No reason that shouldn't still be the case.
No reason that shouldn't still be the case.
-
jeetkunedoka
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 31 Mar 2010, 13:40
Re: What are your views on clinching?
so the basic i dea then is just to hold on untill the ref breaks it up? thats kinda what i meant by stalemate if they could hold eachother and pound thecrap out of eachother or close in and throw like the good old prize ring rules allowed it would effectively eliminate the stalemate and could even eliminate the need for weight classes because a big dude cant use his reach all day to keep the small dude away and in closing the little dude has an advantage because its easier to throw someone bigger than you than it is to throw someone smaller than you especially with hip throws!skelp wrote:Clinching is a legitimate defensive move. As long as they are not holding their opponent in place and unloading, I don't see a problem.
-
Panzerfaust
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 560
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 17:13
Re: What are your views on clinching?
Clinching can be a great offensive weapon aswell in that grey area between holding and infighting, bullying your opponent around if hes physically weaker while throwing short punches ,a little shoving a little ''wrestling'' to tire them out. Marciano did this to great succes. A little wrestling and fighting in the clinch adds to the flavour IMO
-
SaadOffTheDeck
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 19602
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 07:38
Re: What are your views on clinching?
Watch the Berto/Collazo fight to see how a ref needs to handle excessive clinching. Clinching isn't defense, not sure what would make someone say that. It's an infraction and deductions and disqualifications for it should be enforced.
In the old days referees would walk out of the ring in a fight that was without action. Mosley needs to get his hands all over Floyd inside. But fighting on the inside isn't exactly what I would call clinching. I know there is offense in the clinch, lost form, but that is doing it with a purpose. I don't mind if a guy holds on when his legs have been turned to jelly. It's doing it for no reason at all that is unbearable and shouldn't be tolerated.
In the old days referees would walk out of the ring in a fight that was without action. Mosley needs to get his hands all over Floyd inside. But fighting on the inside isn't exactly what I would call clinching. I know there is offense in the clinch, lost form, but that is doing it with a purpose. I don't mind if a guy holds on when his legs have been turned to jelly. It's doing it for no reason at all that is unbearable and shouldn't be tolerated.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
and it never used to have proper judges, or gloves, but things change... hip throws? it wouldnt be boxing, it would be something else. IMO the ref should observe it and if both men are able to throw and at least one is throwing, then let it continue, if not, break it. Simples!jeetkunedoka wrote:I have noticed in a lot of fights the fighters have been clinching and not doing anything. I think they need to change the rules to include either holding & hitting or throws allowed to stop this stalemate. Also either of theese additions would make it way easier for a smaller fighter to stay close because he can hold on.
please no ranting on how thats the same as ufc or this aint judo because classical Pugilism had clinch fighting & throws for hundreds of years untill the late 1800's.
-
jeetkunedoka
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 31 Mar 2010, 13:40
Re: What are your views on clinching?
i'm pretty sure it used to be called "Boxing" lol and hip throws were a big apart of it... and when they changed it they should have called it someting else but i guess i could refer to the old style as Pugilism and the modern art of punching as Boxing
Re: What are your views on clinching?
pedant... when they change the regs of F1 we dont call it F1.1 do we?jeetkunedoka wrote:i'm pretty sure it used to be called "Boxing" lol and hip throws were a big apart of it... and when they changed it they should have called it someting else but i guess i could refer to the old style as Pugilism and the modern art of punching as Boxing
-
jeetkunedoka
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 31 Mar 2010, 13:40
Re: What are your views on clinching?
i was talking about The Personification of Evils post about how hip throws arent a part of "Boxing" lol but they were just as important as elbows, knees, headbutts and punches...MatthewS wrote:pedant... when they change the regs of F1 we dont call it F1.1 do we?jeetkunedoka wrote:i'm pretty sure it used to be called "Boxing" lol and hip throws were a big apart of it... and when they changed it they should have called it someting else but i guess i could refer to the old style as Pugilism and the modern art of punching as Boxing
Re: What are your views on clinching?
No that was all me... the operative word in your post is 'were'... things change, people move on... or not, obviously.jeetkunedoka wrote:i was talking about The Personification of Evils post about how hip throws arent a part of "Boxing" lol but they were just as important as elbows, knees, headbutts and punches...MatthewS wrote:pedant... when they change the regs of F1 we dont call it F1.1 do we?jeetkunedoka wrote:i'm pretty sure it used to be called "Boxing" lol and hip throws were a big apart of it... and when they changed it they should have called it someting else but i guess i could refer to the old style as Pugilism and the modern art of punching as Boxing
-
jeetkunedoka
- Heavyweight

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 31 Mar 2010, 13:40
Re: What are your views on clinching?
pedant... when they change the
No that was all me... the operative word in your post is 'were'... things change, people move on... or not, obviously.[/quote]
classic pugilism does still exist its just not as popular as boxing. i miss worded myself elbows, knees, headbutts, throws are a part of boxing... not the modern sport where there fouls but still used sometimes.
[/quote]the ref should observe it and if both men are able to throw and at least one is throwing, then let it continue, if not, break it. Simples![/quote]
i totally agree with you there but like i said lately i have been seeing alot of hugging and nothing else in the clinch lol and i even remember a fight from a little while ago where every time the one guy clinched and took a swing the ref shouted "thats illegal, your breaking the rules"
No that was all me... the operative word in your post is 'were'... things change, people move on... or not, obviously.[/quote]
classic pugilism does still exist its just not as popular as boxing. i miss worded myself elbows, knees, headbutts, throws are a part of boxing... not the modern sport where there fouls but still used sometimes.
[/quote]the ref should observe it and if both men are able to throw and at least one is throwing, then let it continue, if not, break it. Simples![/quote]
i totally agree with you there but like i said lately i have been seeing alot of hugging and nothing else in the clinch lol and i even remember a fight from a little while ago where every time the one guy clinched and took a swing the ref shouted "thats illegal, your breaking the rules"
Re: What are your views on clinching?
I think the rules are fine, by all means let the fighters whack away for a bit inside as long as a hand is free, the problems start when there are rabbit punches and it carries on too long.
It's down to the ref to enforce the rules.
It's down to the ref to enforce the rules.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
I think the sport has clearly changed a great deal when
it comes to clinching. these days it is frowned upon
by most fans. I have no problem with it, so long as the
fighter is active and uses it well. It also serves a good
function for a fighter that has been rocked or wobbled,
its a good way to recover and avoid further damage.
So long as the match does not turn into a stale GR match,
then I think it has its place in boxing.
it comes to clinching. these days it is frowned upon
by most fans. I have no problem with it, so long as the
fighter is active and uses it well. It also serves a good
function for a fighter that has been rocked or wobbled,
its a good way to recover and avoid further damage.
So long as the match does not turn into a stale GR match,
then I think it has its place in boxing.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
My perspective on clinching varied depending whether I (or my fighter) was the clincher or the clinchee. . . .
Re: What are your views on clinching?
Clueless Ray is always looking to give "his" fighter the edge, with no sense of fairness in regards to his fighters opponent.raylawpc wrote:My perspective on clinching varied depending whether I (or my fighter) was the clincher or the clinchee. . . .
Re: What are your views on clinching?
ok ray...you have to forgive that....I'm going through withdrawal symptoms......I'm headed directly to a 12 step program from here.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
No, you are on ignore. . . but only for 30 days since it seems nobody around here is allowed to have the balls to permanently ban anybody.BoxBuzz wrote:ok ray...you have to forgive that....I'm going through withdrawal symptoms......I'm headed directly to a 12 step program from here.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
I think it is impossible to set mods to ignore, ray...raylawpc wrote:No, you are on ignore. . . but only for 30 days since it seems nobody around here is allowed to have the balls to permanently ban anybody.BoxBuzz wrote:ok ray...you have to forgive that....I'm going through withdrawal symptoms......I'm headed directly to a 12 step program from here.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
It was a joke, Matthew . . .MatthewS wrote:I think it is impossible to set mods to ignore, ray...raylawpc wrote:No, you are on ignore. . . but only for 30 days since it seems nobody around here is allowed to have the balls to permanently ban anybody.BoxBuzz wrote:ok ray...you have to forgive that....I'm going through withdrawal symptoms......I'm headed directly to a 12 step program from here.
Last edited by raylawpc on 07 Apr 2010, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
fair play
Re: What are your views on clinching?
raylawpc wrote:No, you are on ignore. . . but only for 30 days since it seems nobody around here is allowed to have the balls to permanently ban anybody.BoxBuzz wrote:ok ray...you have to forgive that....I'm going through withdrawal symptoms......I'm headed directly to a 12 step program from here.
In the future permanent bans will a consequence. Shipments of testosterone are in route to the Moderators Forum as we speak.
Re: What are your views on clinching?
So you are saying its now okay to put you on the ignore list permanently?BoxBuzz wrote:raylawpc wrote:No, you are on ignore. . . but only for 30 days since it seems nobody around here is allowed to have the balls to permanently ban anybody.BoxBuzz wrote:ok ray...you have to forgive that....I'm going through withdrawal symptoms......I'm headed directly to a 12 step program from here.
In the future permanent bans will a consequence. Shipments of testosterone are in route to the Moderators Forum as we speak.