Cleverly vs Shumenov in 2011??

Post Reply
robpalmer135
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 278
Joined: 11 May 2009, 17:18

Cleverly vs Shumenov in 2011??

Post by robpalmer135 »

According to Dan Rafael at ESPN.com

Light heavyweight titleholders Beibut Shumenov (10-1, 6 KOs) and Jürgen Brähmer (36-2, 29 KOs) are close to finalizing a unification bout, promoters Dan Goossen and Universum told ESPN.com. "We're discussing it with them," said Goossen, who promotes Shumenov. "It's an intriguing fight anytime you have two champions fighting one another." Shumenov, 27, who now lives in Las Vegas, was a 2004 Olympian for Kazakhstan before turning pro in 2007. He claimed his belt with a controversial split decision against Gabriel Campillo in their January rematch in Las Vegas and defended it in July, surviving a first-round knockdown in a dominant decision against Vyacheslav Uzelkov. Brahmer, 32, of Germany, has made two title defenses. Goossen wouldn't say when the fight would take place -- other than that they were trying to get it done before the end of the year -- or where they wanted to stage the fight. Shumenov has moved very quickly as a pro and unifying titles in his 12th pro fight is just an extension of that aggressive schedule, Goossen said. "This ties into how Beibut started his career, doing things you didn't think possible by fighting fights people didn't think he should be fighting so soon," Goossen said. "This is just the next step. A victory puts him right there as the man to beat with two titles."

Cleverly would be the mandatory for the winner.
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 15244
Joined: 15 Nov 2002, 09:53

Re: Cleverly vs Shumenov in 2011??

Post by bennie »

Rising Welsh star Nathan Cleverly takes on Spanish veteran Alejandro Lakatos for the interim WBO light-heavyweight title on a big bill in Liverpool on December 11.
Cleverly has remained unbeaten since turning pro as a rangy teenager in 2005, scooping up British, Commonwealth and European titles en route and a high world ranking. This is the upshot, for the chance to challenge WBO champion proper Jurgen Brahmer
Cleverly, 23, brings height, reach and boxing ability to any fight, along with good power and plenty of fitness. He outlasted Germany's previously unbeaten Karo Murat in 10 rounds in his last outing and looks too young and energetic for the 36-year-old Lakatos, who has been round the block a few times and challenged for the WBO light-heavyweight title in 2001 and 2004, losing to Dariusz Michalcsewski (ko 9) and Zsolt Erdei respectively (pts), since when he has ticked over with just nine fights, although he has lost only one of them, with one draw.
It is dificult to judge how much Lakatos has left but he was outscored over 12 rounds by good Ukrainian Viacheslav Uzelkov for that one recent defeat, and Uzelkov was 19-0 going in, much like Cleverly's 20-0. Clearly, a good young fighter has the beating of Lakatos these days, and while the visitor is tough and seasoned enough to last the full 12 rounds in December, Cleverly takes the decision.
jessi
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 3008
Joined: 11 Jul 2010, 11:59

Re: Cleverly vs Shumenov in 2011??

Post by jessi »

cleverly wont need anymore than 8 rounds in december, i really think his the next big thing
Post Reply