Funny...I noticed same old arguments on same old Topics. I will cease and desist.boxing_rocks wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 10:27Definitely a troll enjoying irritating other people. This purse bid situation has already been discussed 100 times, but he needed to start another thread to irritate people who just mixed him with dirt in another thread.oogiebe wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 09:47Thanks for the head's up. EO can be long winded, but I don't think he's a troll. (Obnoxious: Yes, Opinionated: Yes; Long winded; oh yes, troll?: Not so sure)boxing_rocks wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 09:45 This whole thread is obvious trolling by EO. Everybody knows that Stevenson has been ducking EVERYBODY for 4+ years, but EO keeps bringing up the purse bid situation knowing that the only reason Stevenson "agreed" to it is because they knew that Kovalev wouldn't fight off HBO.
Just stop responding to this f*cking troll.
Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
A lot of the fighters I listed weren't affiliated to Haymon. Though I'll concede that perhaps one or two of these situations may have been orchestrated by the PBC boss or the promoters he works with, but certainly not all of them.DrDuke wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 10:02This situation actually makes to think about some mysterious possible influence on WBC by Al Haymon. That's similar to Wilder's case. There are often some negotiations with some challengers and eventually WBC challengers refuse to take fight on the given conditions or withdraw due to indistinct doping accusations like in Povetkin's case.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 09:52 I’m not suggesting for one second that Stevenson deserves our praise and nor am I attempting to persuade you into liking or respecting him, but I do feel compelled to remind you of the important facts, which relate to the likes of Jean Pascal, Sergey Kovalev, Marcus Browne, Sullivan Barrera, Andrzej Fonfara and Eleider Alvarez having all previously declined opportunities that could have led to them challenging for Adonis’ WBC world title!![]()
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
I supplied an article from a website that was published today, whereby Stevenson reiterates his desire to eventually face Sergey Kovalev, in the context of him emerging victorious in his bout against Badou Jackoogiebe wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 10:28Funny...I noticed same old arguments on same old Topics. I will cease and desist.boxing_rocks wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 10:27Definitely a troll enjoying irritating other people. This purse bid situation has already been discussed 100 times, but he needed to start another thread to irritate people who just mixed him with dirt in another thread.![]()
You didn't read the article I supplied in the first post in this thread, but if you had, you wouldn't have said those things.
In terms of my explanation of Kovalev refusing to fight Stevenson, that was in response to someone who wrongly claimed that Adonis was "ducking" Sergey.
People are clearly upset about this situation, since they refuse to acknowledge it, and that isn't my fault.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Looks to me like Duva was expecting HBO to put up the money to make the Stevenson fight on their channel, but once she realized that wasn't going to happen she pulled out in order to keep Kovalev's HBO contract intact.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 09:06
• Kathy Duva announced that Sergey Kovalev’s contract with HBO had expired and was negotiating its renewal
• Around the same time as the HBO contract expiry announcement, Kathy Duva also claimed that the Kovalev-Mohammedi fight could be televised by any network and was open to offers
• Kathy Duva passionately lobbied for Sergey Kovalev to be made the mandatory challenger for Adonis Stevenson's WBC belt, with a 50-50 purse split
• The WBC not only agreed to make Sergey Kovalev the mandatory challenger to Adonis Stevenson's world title, but they also agreed to mandate a 50-50 purse split
• The WBC ordered negotiations for the bout and also set a purse bid date
• Adonis Stevenson's promoter and manager had committed themselves to participating in the WBC’s purse bid, because they were armed with Al Haymon’s money
• Kathy Duva criticised the brevity of the purse bid date
• The WBC conceded to Duva’s demands and agreed to extend the deadline by six weeks
• Main Events (Kathy Duva) then decided against participating in the WBC’s purse bid, because she claimed that Kovalev was contractually-tied to HBO
• Shortly afterwards, Main Events officially announced the renewal of Sergey Kovalev’s contract with HBO
• Kathy Duva eventually claimed that Kovalev would only ever be allowed to fight Stevenson if it was televised exclusively by HBO
Choosing a lucrative long term television contract over a single fight is a reasonable decision, even if the way they went about it was somewhat erratic.
It's all a bit bizarre, but no obvious sign of ducking.
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
I feel that Sergey Kovalev actually “ducked” Adonis Stevenson, but his prime motive for doing so was borne from his desire to maximise his earnings, rather than being “scared”, since I suspect his multi-fight multi-year contract with HBO was more lucrative than a one-off bout against his WBC title-holding rival.keirw wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 10:52Looks to me like Duva was expecting HBO to put up the money to make the Stevenson fight on their channel, but once she realized that wasn't going to happen she pulled out in order to keep Kovalev's HBO contract intact.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 09:06
• Kathy Duva announced that Sergey Kovalev’s contract with HBO had expired and was negotiating its renewal
• Around the same time as the HBO contract expiry announcement, Kathy Duva also claimed that the Kovalev-Mohammedi fight could be televised by any network and was open to offers
• Kathy Duva passionately lobbied for Sergey Kovalev to be made the mandatory challenger for Adonis Stevenson's WBC belt, with a 50-50 purse split
• The WBC not only agreed to make Sergey Kovalev the mandatory challenger to Adonis Stevenson's world title, but they also agreed to mandate a 50-50 purse split
• The WBC ordered negotiations for the bout and also set a purse bid date
• Adonis Stevenson's promoter and manager had committed themselves to participating in the WBC’s purse bid, because they were armed with Al Haymon’s money
• Kathy Duva criticised the brevity of the purse bid date
• The WBC conceded to Duva’s demands and agreed to extend the deadline by six weeks
• Main Events (Kathy Duva) then decided against participating in the WBC’s purse bid, because she claimed that Kovalev was contractually-tied to HBO
• Shortly afterwards, Main Events officially announced the renewal of Sergey Kovalev’s contract with HBO
• Kathy Duva eventually claimed that Kovalev would only ever be allowed to fight Stevenson if it was televised exclusively by HBO
Choosing a lucrative long term television contract over a single fight is a reasonable decision, even if the way they went about it was somewhat erratic.
It's all a bit bizarre, but no obvious sign of ducking.
People forget that boxers are known as “PRIZE fighters”, not “PRIDE fighters”, for a reason.
Unfortunately though, merely casual observers of the sport prefer to fabricate “exciting” reasons for the failure of fights from taking place, by citing “fear”, “cowardice”, “greed” etc., rather than attempting to comprehend a rather simple concept relating to fighters’ making business decisions designed to optimise their career earnings.
Adonis Stevenson cannot be held solely responsible for his inability to secure a bout against Sergey Kovalev, since his Russian rival refused to take the fight for financial reasons, yet Krusher’s fans are rather embarrassed about this, to the point they bizarrely maintain that the WBC champ is somehow “running scared” when this is clearly not the case.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
If Kovalev ducked Stevenson, then Stevenson ducked the entire division. Hopkins, Pascal, and Alvarez were all supposed to fight Stevenson at one point, but Stevenson never got into the ring with either. They all ended up fighting Kovalev instead.
By the way, I absolutely hope Badou Jack knocks Stevenson out. Stevenson is truly Chickenson.
By the way, I absolutely hope Badou Jack knocks Stevenson out. Stevenson is truly Chickenson.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Why even mention Kovalev at this point? He's ducked him for years...why even mention the people you've ducked that we can ALL SEE you've ducked for years. Just shut up, and lose to one of the guys that's not at the top since you've never had the balls to fight the guys at the top.
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Pascal left Al Haymon & GYM, so that scuppered the Stevenson bout.Mexi-Box wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 13:23 If Kovalev ducked Stevenson, then Stevenson ducked the entire division. Hopkins, Pascal, and Alvarez were all supposed to fight Stevenson at one point, but Stevenson never got into the ring with either. They all ended up fighting Kovalev instead.
By the way, I absolutely hope Badou Jack knocks Stevenson out. Stevenson is truly Chickenson.
Main Events filed a lawsuit against GBP, which compelled Hopkins to face Kovalev instead of Stevenson. One of the main reasons for Adonis switch from HBO to Showtime was to seek the Hopkins bout, but Kathy Duva scuppered that plan with her lawsuit settlement.
Alvarez stepped aside twice, but only got paid once for doing so.
Kovalev withdrew from the WBC's purse bid process, so he declined a guaranteed opportunity to face Stevenson.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
So it was a bit-of-both, so to speak.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 17:45Pascal left Al Haymon & GYM, so that scuppered the Stevenson bout.Mexi-Box wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 13:23 If Kovalev ducked Stevenson, then Stevenson ducked the entire division. Hopkins, Pascal, and Alvarez were all supposed to fight Stevenson at one point, but Stevenson never got into the ring with either. They all ended up fighting Kovalev instead.
By the way, I absolutely hope Badou Jack knocks Stevenson out. Stevenson is truly Chickenson.
Main Events filed a lawsuit against GBP, which compelled Hopkins to face Kovalev instead of Stevenson. One of the main reasons for Adonis switch from HBO to Showtime was to seek the Hopkins bout, but Kathy Duva scuppered that plan with her lawsuit settlement.
Alvarez stepped aside twice, but only got paid once for doing so.
Kovalev withdrew from the WBC's purse bid process, so he declined a guaranteed opportunity to face Stevenson.
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
For sure, Stevenson should have defended his titles against better opposition, but many of the names being randomly mentioned by our fellow forum members actually decided against facing him.oogiebe wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 17:47So it was a bit-of-both, so to speak.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 17:45Pascal left Al Haymon & GYM, so that scuppered the Stevenson bout.Mexi-Box wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 13:23 If Kovalev ducked Stevenson, then Stevenson ducked the entire division. Hopkins, Pascal, and Alvarez were all supposed to fight Stevenson at one point, but Stevenson never got into the ring with either. They all ended up fighting Kovalev instead.
By the way, I absolutely hope Badou Jack knocks Stevenson out. Stevenson is truly Chickenson.
Main Events filed a lawsuit against GBP, which compelled Hopkins to face Kovalev instead of Stevenson. One of the main reasons for Adonis switch from HBO to Showtime was to seek the Hopkins bout, but Kathy Duva scuppered that plan with her lawsuit settlement.
Alvarez stepped aside twice, but only got paid once for doing so.
Kovalev withdrew from the WBC's purse bid process, so he declined a guaranteed opportunity to face Stevenson.
I'm not really a fan of Adonis, but the criticism he's received has been excessively harsh. He's not solely responsible for his inability to secure bouts against the biggest names in the 175lbs division.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
It's usually a one sided discussion regarding ducking. But when you get passed the surface, the story changes. Much like Bowe/Lewis.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 19:23For sure, Stevenson should have defended his titles against better opposition, but many of the names being randomly mentioned by our fellow forum members actually decided against facing him.oogiebe wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 17:47So it was a bit-of-both, so to speak.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 17:45
Pascal left Al Haymon & GYM, so that scuppered the Stevenson bout.
Main Events filed a lawsuit against GBP, which compelled Hopkins to face Kovalev instead of Stevenson. One of the main reasons for Adonis switch from HBO to Showtime was to seek the Hopkins bout, but Kathy Duva scuppered that plan with her lawsuit settlement.
Alvarez stepped aside twice, but only got paid once for doing so.
Kovalev withdrew from the WBC's purse bid process, so he declined a guaranteed opportunity to face Stevenson.
I'm not really a fan of Adonis, but the criticism he's received has been excessively harsh. He's not solely responsible for his inability to secure bouts against the biggest names in the 175lbs division.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
I like how when you go over the Kovalev story you don't mention about Stevenson signing with Gaymon and running out of town instead of fighting Kovalev on HBO, but for other fighters, you mention it.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 17:45Pascal left Al Haymon & GYM, so that scuppered the Stevenson bout.Mexi-Box wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 13:23 If Kovalev ducked Stevenson, then Stevenson ducked the entire division. Hopkins, Pascal, and Alvarez were all supposed to fight Stevenson at one point, but Stevenson never got into the ring with either. They all ended up fighting Kovalev instead.
By the way, I absolutely hope Badou Jack knocks Stevenson out. Stevenson is truly Chickenson.
Main Events filed a lawsuit against GBP, which compelled Hopkins to face Kovalev instead of Stevenson. One of the main reasons for Adonis switch from HBO to Showtime was to seek the Hopkins bout, but Kathy Duva scuppered that plan with her lawsuit settlement.
Alvarez stepped aside twice, but only got paid once for doing so.
Kovalev withdrew from the WBC's purse bid process, so he declined a guaranteed opportunity to face Stevenson.
You are a bias troll that likes to manipulate the facts.
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Everything I’ve stated in this thread is factually-correct. I haven’t misrepresented or manipulated anything. You’re welcome to try to support your accusation, as I’d appreciate the opportunity for a good laugh at your expense!
In regards to your question though, I didn’t previously discuss this point, since it didn’t relate to the thread title, Stevenson’s remarks detailed in the first post of this thread and nor was it mentioned by other posters that have expressed their own thoughts in relation to the topic being discussed.
I generally try to follow the rules of the forum, by refraining from going off-topic. So there was no reason for me to randomly bark irrelevant comments in a keyboard Tourette’s Syndrome like manner.
Fortunately though, the point you raised is a topic I’ve previously discussed at length on other threads, so I can recycle some of my previous comments, which are an irrefutably accurate account of events, since it seems you’ve made another claim that you cannot substantiate:
Adonis Stevenson didn't "jump ship" to avoid Sergey Kovalev.
Stevenson's contract with HBO had expired and Al Haymon managed to secure him a more lucrative deal with Showtime. It was believed at the time that Adonis’ move would have also secured a bout against Bernard Hopkins, which would have been a huge payday for the Canadian, but Kathy Duva’s lawsuit against GBP scuppered those plans.
HBO had a chance to outbid Showtime for the right to renew Stevenson's contract, which would have secured a bout between Adonis and Sergey, where negotiations had already commenced, but they didn't.
Stevenson's handlers actually approached HBO and asked them to raise their bid, but they refused to do so. At this point in time, Adonis knew that the outcome of renewing his contract with HBO would have contractually-obliged him to face Sergey Kovalev.
HBO knew that the consequence of refusing to outbid Showtime, would inevitably scupper the possibility of a highly-anticipated bout between Kovalev and Stevenson.
Should Adonis Stevenson be considered solely responsible for HBO’s decision to refrain from outbidding Showtime?
Is it Adonis Stevenson’s fault that Sergey Kovalev had signed an exclusive contract, with HBO (with that network refusing to work with Showtime and Al Haymon – unless mega-bucks was involved)?
Alternatively, is it his fault that Bernard Hopkins took the Kovalev fight instead of facing him on Showtime, due to GBP’s desire to get Kathy Duva to drop her lawsuit against them?
Those are the facts! Try to refute them if you can.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 19:23 For sure, Stevenson should have defended his titles against better opposition, but many of the names being randomly mentioned by our fellow forum members actually decided against facing him.
I'm not really a fan of Adonis, but the criticism he's received has been excessively harsh. He's not solely responsible for his inability to secure bouts against the biggest names in the 175lbs division.
Adonis has ducked his own mandatory for 3 years straight. That is most definitely his own fault. The only reason they're getting away with this is because they're both under the same promotion.
It's the fighters below them in the rankings that suffer. The WBC needs to absolutely institute a rule that if a mando forgoes his titleshot for a year or longer then it goes to the next guy in line. There's no point of even being ranked on the WBC 168 lb rankings anymore (for fighters who are ranked below them but not a big name in North America to get a voluntary).
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
It seems that you’re either not paying attention or you’re struggling to keep up with the debate, since this accusation has already been addressed in this thread, so I'll recycle one of my earlier comments to disprove your accusation:
Should Adonis Stevenson be held accountable for his inability to perform mandatory defences of his WBC world title if the likes of Jean Pascal, Sergey Kovalev, Marcus Browne, Sullivan Barrera, Andrzej Fonfara and Eleider Alvarez all refused to exploit opportunities that could have led them to challenge for his belt?
For instance: Main Events withdrew Sullivan Barrera and Sergey Kovalev from purse bids that were ordered by the WBC. Are Kathy Duva’s guys completely blameless and exempt from receiving criticism, which means that those situations were purely Adonis' or the WBC's fault?
Here’s a summary of the key events that have enabled Adonis Stevenson to continually face merely moderate calibre opposition:
• Jean Pascal and Sergey Kovalev both withdrew from their mandatory challenger position, so they rejected a guaranteed opportunity face Adonis Stevenson.
• Marcus Browne, Sullivan Barrera, Andrzej Fonfara and Eleider Alvarez have all withdrawn from final eliminators.
• Eleider Alvarez defeated Jean Pascal, Isaac Chilemba and Lucian Bute in final eliminators, rejected an opportunity to engage in a fourth so-called "final eliminator" and also agreed to step-aside twice.
I do feel compelled to remind you of the important facts, which relate to the likes of Jean Pascal, Sergey Kovalev, Marcus Browne, Sullivan Barrera, Andrzej Fonfara and Eleider Alvarez having all previously declined opportunities that could have led to them challenging for Adonis’ WBC world title!
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
I think this is the third thread you have made in hes defense...Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 19:23 I'm not really a fan of Adonis, but the criticism he's received has been excessively harsh. He's not solely responsible for his inability to secure bouts against the biggest names in the 175lbs division.
I shudder to thing how would it look if you were fan of the guy
I am pretty sure that if Stevenson (and hes team) had really wanted to fight Kovalev they would have managed to do it already.
Now that hes career is closing to its end and hes looking for the last payday options he is talking like fighting Kovalev is the one and only thing he has always wanted and how Kovalev is ducking him. Quite transparent in my opinion
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
The same shit is going down in HW too with Whyte.DA1 wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 04:56 It's the fighters below them in the rankings that suffer. The WBC needs to absolutely institute a rule that if a mando forgoes his titleshot for a year or longer then it goes to the next guy in line. There's no point of even being ranked on the WBC 168 lb rankings anymore (for fighters who are ranked below them but not a big name in North America to get a voluntary).
Seems like getting ranking in WBC is totally worthless now days
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
You're wrong about this claim and the others you made in the same post.Heretic wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 05:34I think this is the third thread you have made in hes defense...Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 19:23 I'm not really a fan of Adonis, but the criticism he's received has been excessively harsh. He's not solely responsible for his inability to secure bouts against the biggest names in the 175lbs division.
Stick to the facts, don't use meaningless vague terms like "I think" if you aren't willing to substantiate it.
I'm only willing to defend my actual claims and actions, not those that other people have fabricated in their own mind.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Yeah you do seem to hate it when people state that their opinions are in fact only opinionsEnlightened-One wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 06:21You're wrong about this claim and the others you made in the same post.Heretic wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 05:34I think this is the third thread you have made in hes defense...Enlightened-One wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 19:23 I'm not really a fan of Adonis, but the criticism he's received has been excessively harsh. He's not solely responsible for his inability to secure bouts against the biggest names in the 175lbs division.![]()
Stick to the facts, don't use meaningless vague terms like "I think" if you aren't willing to substantiate it.
I'm only willing to defend my actual claims and actions, not those that other people have fabricated in their own mind.
I can remember thread that was named something like "is Adonis Stevenson being critiqued too hard?"
I also remember that the subject was talked in another thread just little bit before that. Who made that other thread and for what purpose I can't remember and I am way too lazy to check that up.
And for the other claims that you very conveniently left out of the quote... (my bad actually I started doing that first)
Can you somehow prove with evidence that there were no point in the last few years where the Stvenson vs Kovalev fight could have happened if Stevenson wanted that fight.
Also can you somehow prove with evidence that Stevenson is not only willing to take this fight because he is after one final big payday?
If not then it seems like it is only your opinion that my opinion on this matters is wrong
-
Ruthless-RKO
- Welterweight
- Posts: 104807
- Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Sergey Kovalev once again labeled arch-rival Adonis Stevenson 'Chickenson' when addressing the media for his next outing.
Speaking at the announcement of his Atlantic City bout, Kovalev explained, "Alvarez has earned his title shot but Chickenson dodged him; just like he dodged me.
"I want to fight the best in my division. Alvarez took the fight with me without hesitation. I respect that and I am excited to face him in my return to Atlantic City."
Adding to Kovalev's frustrations, Egis Klimas, Sergey's manager stated: "Eleider Alvarez is a great competitor. That is probably why Stevenson refused to fight him. Sergey will face anyone, any time, any place.
"If Adonis is too scared to take the fight, Sergey is happy to step up and fight Alvarez. He earned this opportunity."
Days later, and with the fight confirmation in the bag, Kovalev cut a much more relaxed figure at a 'Big Apple' press conference.
"Thank you very much for everything and I'm happy to be here and back to New York and I'm glad to be here again," he said.
"First of all, I want to say thank you to Egis, who one day believed in me and gave me opportunity to be a professional fighter and may my dreams happen for me. And, also, thank you to Kathy Duva who supports us and gave opportunity fighting on HBO.
"Thanks also to HBO for great opportunity to be in team of HBO boxing. And personal thank you for help to Peter Nelson and Hard Rock for expressing confidence in me.
"Thanks to Yvon Michel and Eleider Alvarez for approve the fight. I am sure that we will show really great fight August 4th because I have a plan to defend my title. He has a plan to get a title and to be champion.
"It will be very big battle and we must be ready and be the best shape of our boxing career. Because in the future, happening huge fights, unification fights, I hope.
"Thank you to all the writers. To the writers who gave award that Egis best manager in the world, Lomachenko was the best fighter in the world, and his father, Anatoly, won the best trainer in the world.
"Thank you very much for everything and see you and at next press conference before August 4th. God bless you everyone, and thank you."
Speaking at the announcement of his Atlantic City bout, Kovalev explained, "Alvarez has earned his title shot but Chickenson dodged him; just like he dodged me.
"I want to fight the best in my division. Alvarez took the fight with me without hesitation. I respect that and I am excited to face him in my return to Atlantic City."
Adding to Kovalev's frustrations, Egis Klimas, Sergey's manager stated: "Eleider Alvarez is a great competitor. That is probably why Stevenson refused to fight him. Sergey will face anyone, any time, any place.
"If Adonis is too scared to take the fight, Sergey is happy to step up and fight Alvarez. He earned this opportunity."
Days later, and with the fight confirmation in the bag, Kovalev cut a much more relaxed figure at a 'Big Apple' press conference.
"Thank you very much for everything and I'm happy to be here and back to New York and I'm glad to be here again," he said.
"First of all, I want to say thank you to Egis, who one day believed in me and gave me opportunity to be a professional fighter and may my dreams happen for me. And, also, thank you to Kathy Duva who supports us and gave opportunity fighting on HBO.
"Thanks also to HBO for great opportunity to be in team of HBO boxing. And personal thank you for help to Peter Nelson and Hard Rock for expressing confidence in me.
"Thanks to Yvon Michel and Eleider Alvarez for approve the fight. I am sure that we will show really great fight August 4th because I have a plan to defend my title. He has a plan to get a title and to be champion.
"It will be very big battle and we must be ready and be the best shape of our boxing career. Because in the future, happening huge fights, unification fights, I hope.
"Thank you to all the writers. To the writers who gave award that Egis best manager in the world, Lomachenko was the best fighter in the world, and his father, Anatoly, won the best trainer in the world.
"Thank you very much for everything and see you and at next press conference before August 4th. God bless you everyone, and thank you."
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
I actually appreciate those that are honest enough to claim that their thoughts are merely opinions.
I only “hate it when people state that their opinions are… facts”, since they usually aren’t.
You’ve repeated another vague claim. Rather than guess, why don’t you do some research and prove it? I asked you to do this earlier, but somehow you can't... and the reason seems rather obvious to me!
If I want to buy a Ferrari, I not only have to deal with multiple third-parties, but there are legal and financial considerations also. The same principle applies to Stevenson.
Here are several points worth considering:
• HBO previously refused to work with Al Haymon & Showtime (uness mega-bucks were involved). This was proven in court to be true
• Sergey Kovalev has an exclusive contract with HBO.
• Sergey Kovalev had a guaranteed opportunity to face Adonis Stevenson during 2015, but refused to take it.
• GYM & Showtime were willing to outbid HBO & Main Events for the rights to promote and televise the Stevenson & Kovalev fight, which would have given both fighters bigger paydays, but Kathy Duva and Ken Hershman wouldn’t allow it.
• The only way that Stevenson could have faced Kovalev is if he allowed HBO & Main Events to have the exclusive rights to promote and televise the event, even though GYM & Showtime were capable of offering both fighters more money.
The Canadian fighter doesn’t own an Infinity Gauntlet whereby he only needs to click his fingers to make things happen! He’s not in complete control over his own destiny and other people’s. He has to work with his team.
Why would I even bother to do that? This is not within the scope of our discussion.
Are you using “straw man” debating tactics to claim that I believe in “something” that I have never even articulated?
Are you claiming to possess powers of telepathy? If not, then quote my words that illustrates this alleged “opinion” that you believe I hold. If you can’t, then apologise for lying!
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
This post is giving me a headache.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Enlightened-One wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 05:29It seems that you’re either not paying attention or you’re struggling to keep up with the debate, since this accusation has already been addressed in this thread, so I'll recycle one of my earlier comments to disprove your accusation:
Should Adonis Stevenson be held accountable for his inability to perform mandatory defences of his WBC world title if the likes of Jean Pascal, Sergey Kovalev, Marcus Browne, Sullivan Barrera, Andrzej Fonfara and Eleider Alvarez all refused to exploit opportunities that could have led them to challenge for his belt?
For instance: Main Events withdrew Sullivan Barrera and Sergey Kovalev from purse bids that were ordered by the WBC. Are Kathy Duva’s guys completely blameless and exempt from receiving criticism, which means that those situations were purely Adonis' or the WBC's fault?
[...]
Once again, you have completely ignored everything I've said beyond the first line.
Its about Adonis AND Eleider, not just the former. They are collectively holding up the rankings and screwing everyone else beneath them, especially the foreign fighters not signed with big US promoters.
-
Enlightened-One
- Welterweight
- Posts: 14618
- Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 05:12
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
Eleider wasn't the mandatory for three years.DA1 wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 14:24Enlightened-One wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 05:29It seems that you’re either not paying attention or you’re struggling to keep up with the debate, since this accusation has already been addressed in this thread, so I'll recycle one of my earlier comments to disprove your accusation:
Should Adonis Stevenson be held accountable for his inability to perform mandatory defences of his WBC world title if the likes of Jean Pascal, Sergey Kovalev, Marcus Browne, Sullivan Barrera, Andrzej Fonfara and Eleider Alvarez all refused to exploit opportunities that could have led them to challenge for his belt?
For instance: Main Events withdrew Sullivan Barrera and Sergey Kovalev from purse bids that were ordered by the WBC. Are Kathy Duva’s guys completely blameless and exempt from receiving criticism, which means that those situations were purely Adonis' or the WBC's fault?
[...]
Once again, you have completely ignored everything I've said beyond the first line.
Its about Adonis AND Eleider, not just the former. They are collectively holding up the rankings and screwing everyone else beneath them, especially the foreign fighters not signed with big US promoters.
Adonis didn't duck his mandatory for three years and I already proved why.
Re: Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Don't Want To Fight - I'd KO Him!
You need to learn to make your points faster, and more efficiently. I don't know about most, but I'm personally not gonna read these long ass posts you make.Enlightened-One wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 14:27Eleider wasn't the mandatory for three years.DA1 wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 14:24Enlightened-One wrote: ↑17 May 2018, 05:29
It seems that you’re either not paying attention or you’re struggling to keep up with the debate, since this accusation has already been addressed in this thread, so I'll recycle one of my earlier comments to disprove your accusation:
Should Adonis Stevenson be held accountable for his inability to perform mandatory defences of his WBC world title if the likes of Jean Pascal, Sergey Kovalev, Marcus Browne, Sullivan Barrera, Andrzej Fonfara and Eleider Alvarez all refused to exploit opportunities that could have led them to challenge for his belt?
For instance: Main Events withdrew Sullivan Barrera and Sergey Kovalev from purse bids that were ordered by the WBC. Are Kathy Duva’s guys completely blameless and exempt from receiving criticism, which means that those situations were purely Adonis' or the WBC's fault?
[...]
Once again, you have completely ignored everything I've said beyond the first line.
Its about Adonis AND Eleider, not just the former. They are collectively holding up the rankings and screwing everyone else beneath them, especially the foreign fighters not signed with big US promoters.
Adonis didn't duck his mandatory for three years and I already proved why.
Get to the point.