Dillian Whyte's Next Fight TBA Post WBC Ruling

Post Reply
oogiebe
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 32990
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 19:35

Dillian Whyte's Next Fight TBA Post WBC Ruling

Post by oogiebe »

Whyte Next Fight To Be Announced After WBC Issues Ruling.

Boxing Scene:

Heavyweight contender Dillian Whyte has a list of five possible opponents for planned return on July 13, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

Whyte, who is the WBC's number 1 contender in the division, has been out of the ring since knocking out Derek Chisora in their December rematch.

"We wait on a decision from the WBC," Hearn said to Sky Sports. "Obviously everybody knows they were at a meeting and mediation in London some weeks ago. We expected a decision last week, we're hoping it will come this week."

"Plans are in place for his July fight already, but we are also keen to know we get what we requested from the WBC and once we know what that is, which we hope will be tomorrow, we will be in a position to announce his next fight and look at his plans in more detail," Hearn said.

"There are probably about five options for Dillian in July. He wants to have a proper fight, even if he's mandatory for the winner of Wilder-Breazeale. He wants to have a proper fight and that's Dillian Whyte all over.

It'll be great to see Dill back in the ring! He is definitely a good watch and should be getting a title shot soon! (he's earned it).

Full Article:
https://www.BS.com/whyte-next- ... ng--137863
tiny_acres
Middleweight
Posts: 9528
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:43

Re: Dillian Whyte's Next Fight TBA Post WBC Ruling

Post by tiny_acres »

oogiebe wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 19:14 Whyte Next Fight To Be Announced After WBC Issues Ruling.

Boxing Scene:

Heavyweight contender Dillian Whyte has a list of five possible opponents for planned return on July 13, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

Whyte, who is the WBC's number 1 contender in the division, has been out of the ring since knocking out Derek Chisora in their December rematch.

"We wait on a decision from the WBC," Hearn said to Sky Sports. "Obviously everybody knows they were at a meeting and mediation in London some weeks ago. We expected a decision last week, we're hoping it will come this week."

"Plans are in place for his July fight already, but we are also keen to know we get what we requested from the WBC and once we know what that is, which we hope will be tomorrow, we will be in a position to announce his next fight and look at his plans in more detail," Hearn said.

"There are probably about five options for Dillian in July. He wants to have a proper fight, even if he's mandatory for the winner of Wilder-Breazeale. He wants to have a proper fight and that's Dillian Whyte all over.

It'll be great to see Dill back in the ring! He is definitely a good watch and should be getting a title shot soon! (he's earned it).

Full Article:
https://www.BS.com/whyte-next-fight-ann ... ng--137863
I still think the wbc will order a final elimination between Whyte and Ortiz
Whyte still has not had a wbc final eliminator
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103248
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Dillian Whyte's Next Fight TBA Post WBC Ruling

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Eddie Hearn said,
“There are probably about five options for Dillian in July. He wants to have a proper fight, even if he’s mandatory for the winner of Wilder-Breazeale. He wants to have a proper fight and that’s Dillian Whyte all over.

”The names we are looking at are all good fights and like I said, once we get that ruling, we will be pulling the trigger and making that announcement.”


At this point we run into a problem of logic: is there actually a “good fight” that Whyte can make in July?

Well, sure, of course there is, but the pickings are pretty slim, and there’s not much that’s going to get anyone excited, which is about par for the course with boxing matchmaking right now.

Here’s a list of notable fighters it definitely won’t be:

* Anthony Joshua or Jarrell Miller, who fight June 1
* Deontay Wilder or Dominic Breazeale, who fight May 18
* Tyson Fury (or, uh, Tom Schwarz), who fights June 15
* Oleksandr Usyk or Carlos Takam, who fight May 25
* Kubrat Pulev, who is sitting on an IBF mandatory, is with Top Rank, and has a whole other situation with the California commission
* Filip Hrgovic, who fights May 25
* Michael Hunter, who fights May 25
* Joe Joyce, who fights May 18
* Andy Ruiz Jr, who fights Alexander Dimitrenko on April 20
* Hughie Fury, who fights May 25
* Dereck Chisora, whom Whyte has beaten twice and fights April 20
* Dave Allen or Lucas Browne, who fight April 20
* Daniel Dubois, who fights April 27

It probably won’t be a PBC fighter, which would eliminate Luis Ortiz, Chris Arreola, Adam Kownacki, and Charles Martin, and it probably won’t be Oscar Rivas, who is with Top Rank.

What’s left, then, in, say, the BoxRec top 30?

* Alexander Povetkin, but Hearn seems to want Povetkin to face Oleksandr Usyk by the end of this year
* Joseph Parker, which would be a rematch of the July 2018 fight where Whyte got the nod but Parker came off the canvas twice to drop and nearly stop Whyte in the 12th
* Christian Hammer, who is coming off of a loss to Luis Ortiz
* Sergey Kuzmin, which could be doable, he’s been on Matchroom cards recently
* Robert Helenius, which would be a rematch of a 2017 fight that wasn’t competitive
* Agit Kabayel, who is unbeaten and holds the European title
* Johann Duhaupas, who hasn’t fought in a year since losing to Jarrell Miller
* Tomasz Adamek, who is 42 years old and was shamefully fed to Miller last October in Chicago
* Bryant Jennings, who as far as I know is still with Top Rank and is coming off of a January TKO loss to Oscar Rivas
* Artur Szpilka, who has won two straight in Poland after losing two straight in the U.S.
* Eric Molina, who has been repeatedly stopped by higher-level opponents (Arreola, Wilder, Joshua, Breazeale)

The best fights of that group would be Povetkin and Parker, obviously; maybe Kuzmin if you’re really invested in undefeated records and didn’t see him struggle with Joey Dawejko in March, or maybe Kabayel, who may want to use his status and wait for a call to face one of the big three when they get desperate for opponents again via not fighting each other.

The rest — Hammer, Helenius, Duhaupas, Adamek, Jennings, Szpilka, Molina — are all veteran also-ran types at this point in their careers. Would be tough to sell as “good,” but we’re in a world where they’re trying to sell Fury-Schwarz as good, so who knows?

And for what it’s worth, I’m not even blaming Whyte or Hearn for any of this, really. If it winds up being Whyte-Molina or something, what can you do? There are a lot of fighters just plain not available for one reason or another, and it’s unlikely that everyone on that list of those who might be available are actually willing to fight Whyte in July. It all leaves a field that just isn’t particularly attractive.
Post Reply