Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Who wins?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2019, 11:47

Golovkin - Decision
6
30%
Golovkin - T/KO
12
60%
DRAW
0
No votes
Derevyanchenko - T/KO
1
5%
Derevyanchenko - Decision
1
5%
 
Total votes: 20

Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

The IBF on Monday formally ordered Sergiy Derevyanchenko and Gennady Golovkin to meet for its vacant middleweight world title. As expected, the sanctioning body sent a letter to both camps telling them to begin negotiations immediately for a fight that will fill the 160-pound world title stripped from Canelo Alvarez on Thursday when his team did not finalize a deal with mandatory challenger Derevyanchenko.

Image

"The IBF middleweight title was declared vacant on August 1, 2019. The IBF is therefore ordering that a bout take place between the two highest ranked contenders to fill this vacancy," IBF championships chairman Carlos Ortiz Jr. wrote in a letter to Alex Dombroff, the attorney for Derevyanchenko promoter Lou DiBella, and John Hornewer, the attorney representing Golovkin's GGG Promotions.

The Derevyanchenko and Golovkin camps have 30 days, or until Sept. 4, to make a deal. They then have another 15 days to submit signed contracts to the IBF for the fight that is slated to take place Oct. 5 -- the date Golovkin exclusive broadcaster DAZN has him penciled in for the second bout of his six-fight, nine-figure deal. If the fighter camps cannot make a deal the IBF will order a purse bid, but DiBella told ESPN he did not think a purse bid would be necessary.

"We knew the letter was coming and we've already been talking and I'm very confident in short order that we will be able to close a deal," DiBella said.

The IBF also dictated that the winner of the vacant title must make his mandatory defense against the leading available contender within six months.

Alvarez promoter Golden Boy had been working on a deal with DiBella for Alvarez to defend his unified title against Derevyanchenko in late October, but after the purse bid was delayed, and the negotiating period was extended multiple times, Alvarez was stripped of the belt per the terms of a deal Golden Boy made with the IBF that the fight would either be finalized by last Thursday afternoon or the title would become vacant.

Alvarez (52-1-2, 35 KOs), 28, of Mexico, claimed he was not aware of the deal Golden Boy made with the IBF, but he was stripped anyway, paving the way for former unified champion Golovkin to face Derevyanchenko for the vacant title.

Derevyanchenko (13-1, 10 KOs), 33, of Ukraine, who suffered his lone defeat by split decision to Daniel Jacobs for the vacant IBF belt in October, outpointed Jack Culcay in a title eliminator on April 13 to gain the mandatory position. Golovkin (39-1-1, 35 KOs), 37, a Kazakhstan native fighting out of Santa Monica, California, who had previously been stripped of the same title by the IBF, was the next contender in its rankings.

Golovkin had hoped for a third fight with Alvarez this fall, but Alvarez declined to make the bout despite pressure from DAZN, which also has Alvarez under contract.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/ ... itle-fight
Last edited by Ruthless-RKO on 22 Aug 2019, 04:13, edited 5 times in total.
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - purse bid - 4 September 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

IBF are a huge joke.

They stripped GGG last year because he chose to fight Canelo in a rematch rather than Derev, who was mandatory..

Derev then fought for the vacant belt against Jacobs and lost..

Canelo has only just won the belt and ordered to defend against Derev, who once again became mando after he beat Jack Culcay... Meanwhile, GGG stayed ranked high enough..

Now they're ordering GGG and Derev to fight AGAIN.

Chances are this fight doesn't happen, then what? Derev vs. Jacobs again for the vacant belt?
margaret thatcher
Super Featherweight
Posts: 39344
Joined: 22 Jul 2019, 15:43

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - purse bid - 4 September 2019

Post by margaret thatcher »

I'm reading Derev's been offered $5.5m for the fight. He'd be dumb not to take it and GGG at least would have a decent opponent and another title shot.
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 6645
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 08:51

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - purse bid - 4 September 2019

Post by THEBUTCH »

Good match up. Hopefully GGG can get the win and put himself back where he should be.
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Press Release: Gennadiy Golovkin-Sergey Derevyanchenko official for vacant IBF middleweight title

https://www.ringtv.com/575329-press-rel ... ght-title/

Gennadiy Golovkin and Sergiy Derevyanchenko will clash for the vacant IBF World Middleweight title on Saturday October 5 at Madison Square Garden in New York, live on DAZN, in a fight brought to you by GGG Promotions and Matchroom Boxing USA in association with DiBella Entertainment.

Former unified Middleweight king Golovkin (39-1-1 35 KOs) is aiming to regain the IBF crown he held for three years before being stripped of the title following the first of his two epic battles with Mexican rival Canelo Alvarez.

GGG boxes at the Manhattan mecca of boxing for the seventh time in his career as he looks to return to the summit of the 160lbs division, and ominously for Derevyanchenko, the Kazakh star has finished all six of his opponents at MSG inside the distance, with Canadian top-ten contender Steve Rolls succumbing to Golovkin in four rounds on his DAZN debut in June.

Derevyanchenko (13-1 10 KOs) challenges for the IBF belt for the second time in his career having pushed Daniel Jacobs to the limit for the vacant belt at the Hulu Theater at MSG in October, being edged out via split decision in a back and forth scrap where many gave the Brooklyn-based Ukrainian the victory. The 33 year old got back to winning ways and moved into #1 position in the IBF with a points win over Jack Culcay in Minnesota in April, and now faces fellow Olympian Golovkin in a mouth-watering battle in the Big Apple.

“Everyone knows that I consider Madison Square Garden as my home away from home and there is nothing better than fighting there again. It is old school,” said Golovkin. “On October 5, it’s going to be a good fight. Every time I enter the ring I try to give my fans the fight they want to see, the show they deserve. This will be such a fight. We will bring back Big Drama Show to the ring of The Garden and to DAZN. Don’t miss it. You will see everything you love in the sport of boxing. See you in New York.”

“I’m very excited that my team has secured another opportunity for me to fight for the Middleweight championship of the world,”
said Derevyanchenko. “I have a great deal of respect for ‘GGG’ and looking forward to proving in the ring that I will be up to challenge and fulfil my lifelong dream of becoming a World champion.

“Those in attendance at Madison Square Garden and watching on DAZN will see an outstanding battle on Saturday October 5 — I can’t wait to enter the ring.”

“They call it the Big Drama Show and that’s exactly what the fans will enjoy at MSG on October 5, live on DAZN,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. “Gennadiy has a chance to regain his World Middleweight crown and Sergiy will bring the fire – the styles should gel brilliantly for a brutal battle. We look forward to a fantastic event with a stacked card at the iconic Mecca of boxing.”

“I’m very proud to provide Sergiy Derevyanchenko another opportunity to become the Middleweight champion of the world,”
said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “Sergiy came very close to fulfilling his dream last year and I truly believe that his time is now against GGG, one of the best Middleweights of this era. Saturday, October 5, will be a very special night for boxing at Madison Square Garden and live on DAZN, when GGG will be tested to his limits by a true threat in the Middleweight division.”

“We’re happy to have Gennadiy back in the ring looking to reclaim a piece of the middleweight championship,”
said Joseph Markowski, DAZN EVP, North America. “October 5 is just the beginning of fight season on DAZN, which promises to be the best year-end schedule in the sport.”

Tickets go on sale at noon ET on Friday with full details on prices to be released on Thursday.
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Image
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

DrDuke
Lightweight
Posts: 13879
Joined: 29 Nov 2017, 09:15

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by DrDuke »

A one of the best opponents in Golovkin's career. In the fall of it. Golovkin will win anyway. I guess, he'll outbox Derev to a decision.
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Full presser

smiling assassin
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 3223
Joined: 05 Jan 2012, 13:12

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by smiling assassin »

I feel a bit sorry for golovokin clearly beat Canelo the first time unlucky not to get the decision in the rematch and then seems to be the forgotten man as Canelo has pushed on and is now regarded by a lot of people as the main man when GGG should be 2-0
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Image

Irish Amateur Star Joe Ward Makes Pro Debut On Golovkin – D-Chenko Undercard

Irish amateur boxing star Joe Ward will make his highly anticipated pro debut on Saturday, October 5, at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, as part of the undercard to the Gennadiy “GGG” Golovkin-Sergiy Derevyanchenko middleweight championship contest. Ward, who is co-promoted by DiBella Entertainment and Ken Casey’s Murphys Boxing, and managed by Times Square Boxing Co., will take on Marco Delgado (5-1, 4 KOs), of Modesto, CA, in a six-round light heavyweight clash. The 25-year-old Ward, a native of Westmeath, Ireland, is trained by Hall-of-Famer James “Buddy” McGirt and Irishman Jimmy Payne.

A member of Ireland’s 2016 Olympic team, Ward is joined by undisputed world champion Katie Taylor as the only Irish boxers to win more than one European Elite gold medal. His acclaimed amateur career includes 15 Irish National Championships, three gold medals at the European Amateur Championships (2017, 2015, 2011), a gold medal at the World Youth Championships (2010), and a gold medal at the World Junior Championships (2009).

Ward also earned the silver medal at the 2017 World Amateur Championships in Hamburg, Germany. Competing for the British Lionhearts in the World Series of Boxing, Ward compiled a record of 8-1 with a 2018 ranking ahead of Cuba’s two-time Olympic champion Julio La Cruz. Having his first fight at 11 years old, Ward ended his amateur career with a record of 290-15.

“I’m really looking forward to making my pro debut at Madison Square Garden, which is a great venue to introduce myself to the boxing world as I enter the professional ranks,” said Ward. “It’s going to be a special night that I will never forget. I’d like to thank my team, DiBella Entertainment, Murphys Boxing and Times Square Boxing Co., for the opportunity and I am excited to put on a great performance.”

“Ken Casey and I are both thrilled that super prospect Joe Ward is debuting on the GGG-Derevyanchenko card,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “We expect to see a lot of support from New York’s Irish community and believe it’ll be one of many New York City fights for Joe as he begins his rise up the ranks of boxing’s elite.”

“Joe is a world-class prospect and a future star, and we are incredibly excited that he can begin his journey as a professional at such a historic and venerated venue,” said Adam Glenn, CEO of Times Square Boxing Co. “This is an amazing way to start what we know will be a tremendous boxing career.”

“Fighters spend their whole lives dreaming of fighting at Madison Square Garden,” stated Joe Winters, Chairman of Times Square Boxing Co. “Joe Ward’s hard work, dedication and accomplishments allow him to start his career there. We believe that this is going to be the first of many special nights for Joe.”

“I would like to thank my team at KO Night Boxing for working to get this opportunity against Joe Ward,” said Delgado. “I’ve been waiting for this call my whole life. I’m here to do my job and that’s to make the judges’ job easy.”

“I am truly excited for the world to get a look at Marco Delgado,” said John Anderson, of KO Night Boxing. “I think Lou DiBella will be in for a big surprise. I have all the respect in the world for Lou, but in this fight, I feel Marco is way too rugged for Joe Ward and it will show as the fight progresses.”

https://www.boxing247.com/press-boxing/ ... ard/126993
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Gennadiy Golovkin's IBF title fight against Sergiy Derevyanchenko is live on Sky Sports

Gennadiy Golovkin can become a world middleweight champion again when he battles Sergiy Derevyanchenko for the IBF belt on October 5, live on Sky Sports.

Matchroom Boxing's Eddie Hearn, who has signed a co-promotional deal with Golovkin, said: "I'm delighted to bring Gennadiy Golovkin against Sergiy Derevyanchenko to Sky Sports for UK fight fans to enjoy.

"It's always a special night at the Garden and I expect a brutal fight on October 5.

"Gennadiy has the chance to become a two-time world middleweight champion and Derevyanchenko will be coming to spoil the party. Tune in and don't miss it, but remember not to blink!"


Adam Smith, Head of Sky Sports Boxing, said: "Gennadiy Golovkin is one of the world's elite fighters and we are delighted to be showing his IBF title fight against Sergiy Derevyanchenko."

"GGG will be determined to prove that he remains a major force at middleweight, in the absence of Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, as he strives for supremacy at 160lbs.

"We've covered a number of Golovkin's explosive wins on Sky - and he should supply more fireworks at Madison Square Garden."
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Gennady Golovkin is setting out to regain a title he held for over half a decade as it has been revealed that the Kazak's showdown with Ukranian standout Sergiy Dereyvanchenko will also be for the IBO world middleweight title. The vacant IBF title is also at stake.
handsofstone
Cruiserweight
Posts: 23202
Joined: 11 Jan 2011, 17:28

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by handsofstone »

Im glad to see Golovkin back in the title mix, its clear that Alvarez doesn't want the 3rd fight and probably never will, at least if Golovkin picks up another world title he might get the other top Middleweights to fight him, he took a bit of leather from Rolls in his last fight but showed that fight ending power, it was a big KO in the end, I like Derevyanchenko although I thought he deserved his loss to Jacobs there was some close rounds, him and Golovkin are quite similar in the approach, nothing flashy, walk forward and try to put their opponents under serious pressure

Golovkin obviously has the wealth of experience but he is getting on a bit, maybe Derevyanchenko wont be as easy to dispatch as Rolls was, still I think Golovkin is still above most guys at 160, I think this should gel into a good fight, both guys will be there to be hit and I cant see either man willing to take too many backward steps in the fight, Derevyanchenko was o n the canvas in the 1st round against Jacobs and that's probably enough reason for me to suggest Golovkin will stop him, think it will be late though
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ahead of the bout, the purses for Saturday night's fight have been released.

For the vacant middleweight title fight at New York's Madison Square Garden:

Gennady Golovkin - £12.2million

(£6.1m in cash, £6.1m in DAZN parent company equity).

Sergiy Derevyanchenko - £4.2million
handsofstone
Cruiserweight
Posts: 23202
Joined: 11 Jan 2011, 17:28

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by handsofstone »

Insane purses
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »



Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 103224
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - 5 October 2019

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Post Reply