samwbr
Lightweight

Re: Round-by-Round: Zach Parker vs, John Ryder | BT Sport - 26 November 2022

Post by samwbr »

:maybe:
skanksta wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 10:14
samwbr wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 09:38
That looks bad tbf.
I'm sure he didn't want to quit. DDD got so much crap when he HAD to quit, looks like Parker probably DID have to quit with that too.
Looks really bad. He'll be out for some time.
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Post by maverick23 »

I wonder if we expect too much from boxers. I still think Parker should have tried to carry on but it’s clear that’s a bad break. Yet countless fighters have continued with broken hands.

If a footballer broke their foot then they’d probably be stretchered off and certainly not be expected to continue.
Glass Joe
Welterweight

Post by Glass Joe »

Parker was mentally done, he knew he wasn't going to beat Ryder, you need to be world-class to beat Ryder. One hand Parker was looking for a way out. He doesnt have the warriors code.
Dioufy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Dioufy »

maverick23 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:18 I wonder if we expect too much from boxers. I still think Parker should have tried to carry on but it’s clear that’s a bad break. Yet countless fighters have continued with broken hands.

If a footballer broke their foot then they’d probably be stretchered off and certainly not be expected to continue.
Kevin Davies broke his ankle right in front of me against Arsenal and they injected it right through his sock and he was able to carry on. Granted he didn’t play for months afterwards.

I don’t blame Ryder or Jamieson for wanting to stop fighting. Getting a gruesome injury to normal humans is very unnerving. And in the pain and uncertainty then it becomes both mentally and physically hard.

One thing for sure… the likes of Arthur Abraham, Danny Williams and more recently Jai Opetaiai should be applauded more than they are… and when the likes of Ryder, Dubois and Saunders stop they should probably be critiqued less.

Everyone is different… and injuries affect others more than some. It’s not something you can really change in a fighters make up. Just one of those things.
skanksta
Light Heavyweight

Post by skanksta »

Glass Joe wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:21 Parker was mentally done, he knew he wasn't going to beat Ryder, you need to be world-class to beat Ryder. One hand Parker was looking for a way out. He doesnt have the warriors code.
He was winning on the cards in the 4th round ?! :maybe:
I'm sure he didn't want to quit, but 8 rounds vs Ryder with hand could be career-shortening, even life-threatening.
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Post by maverick23 »

Dioufy wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:26
maverick23 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:18 I wonder if we expect too much from boxers. I still think Parker should have tried to carry on but it’s clear that’s a bad break. Yet countless fighters have continued with broken hands.

Kevin Davies broke his ankle right in front of me against Arsenal and they injected it right through his sock and he was able to carry on. Granted he didn’t play for months afterwards.

I don’t blame Ryder or Jamieson for wanting to stop fighting. Getting a gruesome injury to normal humans is very unnerving. And in the pain and uncertainty then it becomes both mentally and physically hard.

One thing for sure… the likes of Arthur Abraham, Danny Williams and more recently Jai Opetaiai should be applauded more than they are… and when the likes of Ryder, Dubois and Saunders stop they should probably be critiqued less.

Everyone is different… and injuries affect others more than some. It’s not something you can really change in a fighters make up. Just one of those things.
Yeah. I guess footballers aren’t all the same, just like boxers.

Calzaghe broke his hand a few times in fights. I guess it’s that will win and innate toughness that separates some guys. I broke my thumb playing basketball when I was younger. If oxygen had been offered I’d have taken it!
Nightmare Roy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Nightmare Roy »

samwbr wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:10 :maybe:
That looks bad tbf.
I'm sure he didn't want to quit. DDD got so much crap when he HAD to quit, looks like Parker probably DID have to quit with that too.
It does and it could have ended up a lot worse if he carried on.
Dioufy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Dioufy »

maverick23 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:35
Dioufy wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:26

Yeah. I guess footballers aren’t all the same, just like boxers.

Calzaghe broke his hand a few times in fights. I guess it’s that will win and innate toughness that separates some guys. I broke my thumb playing basketball when I was younger. If oxygen had been offered I’d have taken it!
I look at it this way… the likes of Calzaghe, Abraham, Williams ect are just super human. And should be praised beyond belief for their bravery.
Glass Joe
Welterweight

Post by Glass Joe »

skanksta wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:33
Glass Joe wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:21 Parker was mentally done, he knew he wasn't going to beat Ryder, you need to be world-class to beat Ryder. One hand Parker was looking for a way out. He doesnt have the warriors code.
He was winning on the cards in the 4th round ?! :maybe:
I'm sure he didn't want to quit, but 8 rounds vs Ryder with hand could be career-shortening, even life-threatening.

Parker pulled out his trainer just followed what he said. He was done. No warrior code.
skanksta
Light Heavyweight

Post by skanksta »

Maybe ? :maybe:
But you're just repeating yourself - have you seen his hand ?!
It defo makes me unlikely to trust Parker from a betting perspective again, but, he couldn't beat The Gorilla with one hand for 8 rounds, so what do you want him to do - take a career-shortening, (and possibly life-threatening) beating, just to prove he has the "warriors code" ?!

I remember DDD and Vitali "quitting" and they both came back with good wins once they're healed up.
What did you say about them at the time ?
Glass Joe
Welterweight

Post by Glass Joe »

I'm not slating parker for pulling out, he's just had a baby so probably had more to lose than being a single man. just saying he pulled himself out.
wrighty
Super Featherweight

Post by wrighty »

samwbr wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:10 :maybe:

I take back what I said. That looks knackered. Ryder would have caught up with him and find him some harm with Parker being 1 handed.

That looks bad tbf.
TheLeprechaun
Super Lightweight

Post by TheLeprechaun »

Parker would have continued if he was feeling comfortable and confident of winning on points and not doing too much damage to his hand. Ryder is a guy who improves as the fight goes on and usually isn't going anywhere. He was losing but in Parkers face and upping his pace. I think Parker might have won a decision with good hands but it's hard to say. Ryder had more than he had shown and was going to get into his groove.
margaret thatcher
Super Flyweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

well ya, a broken hand isnt going to look good a couple days after. not slating parker (who fought through a bad injury before vs williams) but what did ppl expect his hand to look like if it was broken, of course it's going to be swollen and marked up. unless you thought he was faking the hand injury im not sure why that tiktok changes anything
keithmoonhangover
Middleweight

Post by keithmoonhangover »

Maxi_ wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 10:50
MightyWarrior wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 06:20 Feel a bit sorry for Parker, he chucked it all in far too easily in the heat of the moment, and his corner weirdly didn’t really argue with him, they should’ve tried to persuade him to crack on and make it through ( near impossible for mere mortals, but normal for aspiring world champions ) he would’ve felt much better about it all today.. but you can see why JR’s nickname is the gorilla, he is a bit of a beast.

Fletch is excellent on commentary - the best of the lot right now, so good you don’t notice him. Ritchie is the same as ever, he never changes. Good lad though
Agree on Fletch being the best commentator. Seamless transition from footy to boxing.
I agree also. Fletch hasn't been microchipped yet. Hopefully he stays the same. Him and Richie Woodhall make a good pair. It's just a shame that almost all of the fights they commentate on are complete mismatches.
keithmoonhangover
Middleweight

It doesn't look good and it's his decision to pull out.

Would continuing have been brave or stupid?
tony1234
Super Middleweight

Post by tony1234 »

I wonder if he had been so quick to quit if the fight was in Derby in front of a couple of thousand of his fans ?
keithmoonhangover
Middleweight

tony1234 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 15:21 I wonder if he had been so quick to quit if the fight was in Derby in front of a couple of thousand of his fans ?
I'm in no position to criticize having only sparred, but some boxers would have continued. After all, Ali fought 11 rounds with a broken jaw against Norton.