Patrick Day

diddy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 4900
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 01:42

Patrick Day

Post by diddy »

Sounds like he’s in very very bad shape and needs a miracle. This sh*t is happening far too often. As I delve for answers I can’t help but think all the extreme weight cutting is making guys more susceptible to brain injuries as their body just doesn’t have the time to properly rehydrate fluid back to their brain after weigh ins. Too much crash cutting. What can be done? Honestly aside from mandatory 7-days out weigh ins where they’re within a certain % of the weigh-in weight I’m not sure what else can be done. This young man is probably gonna die. And for what? Making peanuts.
kbackup408
Welterweight
Posts: 1671
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 12:58

Re: Patrick Day

Post by kbackup408 »

Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
stevekrazy
Cruiserweight
Posts: 177
Joined: 04 Jul 2011, 19:28

Re: Patrick Day

Post by stevekrazy »

:verysad:
Last edited by stevekrazy on 17 Oct 2019, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Boxerbeetle
Cruiserweight
Posts: 33135
Joined: 19 Sep 2011, 10:59

Re: Patrick Day

Post by Boxerbeetle »

Very sad situation, seems a very nice kid. Hopefully he pulls through.
IKSRTFO
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 4782
Joined: 09 Dec 2007, 17:14

Re: Patrick Day

Post by IKSRTFO »

kbackup408 wrote: ↑14 Oct 2019, 03:47 Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
I saw rabbit punches in that fight. Likely unintentional but still rabbit punch before the KO.
margaret thatcher
Super Featherweight
Posts: 39408
Joined: 22 Jul 2019, 15:43

Re: Patrick Day

Post by margaret thatcher »

I think I read before that fighters who dehydrate to cut weight, it means the brain shrinks, which means their brains have more space to move around and can create greater impact against their skull when they get hit.
Alguiffer
Super Welterweight
Posts: 286
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 22:30

Re: Patrick Day

Post by Alguiffer »

I have followed this young man through out his pro career at the New York City based cards. I pray for this lad and hope he recovers.
oogiebe
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 32990
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 19:35

Re: Patrick Day

Post by oogiebe »

kbackup408 wrote: ↑14 Oct 2019, 03:47 Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
Interesting point. I agree and I don't remember many (or any really) serious head injuries in the HW division aside from the long term affects. Really great call out.
boxing_rocks
Welterweight
Posts: 7851
Joined: 20 May 2016, 13:11

Re: Patrick Day

Post by boxing_rocks »

oogiebe wrote: ↑15 Oct 2019, 20:12
kbackup408 wrote: ↑14 Oct 2019, 03:47 Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
Interesting point. I agree and I don't remember many (or any really) serious head injuries in the HW division aside from the long term affects. Really great call out.
Ali and Mago weren't heavyweights ?
oogiebe
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 32990
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 19:35

Re: Patrick Day

Post by oogiebe »

boxing_rocks wrote: ↑15 Oct 2019, 20:24
oogiebe wrote: ↑15 Oct 2019, 20:12

Interesting point. I agree and I don't remember many (or any really) serious head injuries in the HW division aside from the long term affects. Really great call out.
Ali and Mago weren't heavyweights ?
Ali was long term affect. Mago was an example of this topic. Good shout. Point is Mago is one. While I'm sure there are others, it does seem far less often at HW.
margaret thatcher
Super Featherweight
Posts: 39408
Joined: 22 Jul 2019, 15:43

Re: Patrick Day

Post by margaret thatcher »

TBF, HW is also just one division, whereas 'other' covers lots.

That said, even going beyond HW it does seem that the trend is for more deaths at the mid or low range. I think pretty much for sure weight cutting is a factor. Also, the lighter guys throw more punches and it tends to be cumulative beatings that cause the major injuries rather than big quick kos
oogiebe
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 32990
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 19:35

Re: Patrick Day

Post by oogiebe »

margaret thatcher wrote: ↑15 Oct 2019, 20:43 TBF, HW is also just one division, whereas 'other' covers lots.

That said, even going beyond HW it does seem that the trend is for more deaths at the mid or low range. I think pretty much for sure weight cutting is a factor. Also, the lighter guys throw more punches and it tends to be cumulative beatings that cause the major injuries rather than big quick kos
I remember a discussion on another thread about the weight cutting. I really think that is a huge contributor.
diddy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 4900
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 01:42

Re: Patrick Day

Post by diddy »

Extreme weight cutting is absolutely a factor. It doesn’t sound like Patrick is gonna make it. Rips your heart out.
victor-romeo
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 1645
Joined: 18 Sep 2004, 22:29

Re: Patrick Day

Post by victor-romeo »

kbackup408 wrote: ↑14 Oct 2019, 03:47 Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
I had the same thought, yes that guy Mago got it bad, but In general see less serious to the hospital KO's in heavyweight, and I think it is because they don't cut weight as much.

#1 thing boxing should do is review it's rules around weights and stop incentive for massive dehydration rehdyration.

As it has been said when dehydrated too much less fluid around brain and brain bounces more when head whipped around

#2 not as important but important better refereeing stop unnecessary beat downs.

There will always be injuries but these two things would reduce the incidences of them a lot .
gilgamesh
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 47555
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

Re: Patrick Day

Post by gilgamesh »

I definitely hate how much this has been happening these last few years. The kinda thing you never wanna see, and we're seeing it entirely too often.

I sincerely wish Day a full recovery, even though it's not looking good.

I do believe that weight cutting probably plays a big part. Hard sparring on a regular basis probably ain't doing the brain no favors either.

There'll never be a way to completely make Boxing safe because let's face it. Knocking people out, or beating them up is hardly "safe" to begin with, but the weight cutting thing came into play because it was believed to be a benefit for the fighters. Seeing as how it should be pretty clear by now that it's not, they need to go back to same day weigh ins.

Guys need to fight their actual size, and not try to drain 20 extra pounds just because they can.
Ruthless-RKO
Welterweight
Posts: 104510
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 11:59

Re: Patrick Day

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

RIP. Patrick Day
oogiebe
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 32990
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 19:35

Re: Patrick Day

Post by oogiebe »

just awful.
oogiebe
Light Heavyweight
Posts: 32990
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 19:35

Re: Patrick Day

Post by oogiebe »

Ricky
Lightweight
Posts: 14021
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 09:27

Re: Patrick Day

Post by Ricky »

Did anyone watch this fight? How did it play out?

I only seen the main event.

Rip kid :verysad:
gilgamesh
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 47555
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

Re: Patrick Day

Post by gilgamesh »

I just saw that he has passed. Truly a damn shame.

RIP Patrick
siablo14
Lightweight
Posts: 556
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 07:55

Re: Patrick Day

Post by siablo14 »

gilgamesh wrote: ↑16 Oct 2019, 14:20 I definitely hate how much this has been happening these last few years. The kinda thing you never wanna see, and we're seeing it entirely too often.

I sincerely wish Day a full recovery, even though it's not looking good.

I do believe that weight cutting probably plays a big part. Hard sparring on a regular basis probably ain't doing the brain no favors either.

There'll never be a way to completely make Boxing safe because let's face it. Knocking people out, or beating them up is hardly "safe" to begin with, but the weight cutting thing came into play because it was believed to be a benefit for the fighters. Seeing as how it should be pretty clear by now that it's not, they need to go back to same day weigh ins.

Guys need to fight their actual size, and not try to drain 20 extra pounds just because they can.
Should head-gear become mandatory?
Jeff_lacy_ko
Lightweight
Posts: 5725
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 14:15

Re: Patrick Day

Post by Jeff_lacy_ko »

If its mandatory the sport is done. I dunno maybe it should be
boxing_rocks
Welterweight
Posts: 7851
Joined: 20 May 2016, 13:11

Re: Patrick Day

Post by boxing_rocks »

Ron C
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 254
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 00:01

Re: Patrick Day

Post by Ron C »

I watched it live. Heartbreaking. I’m sure he’ll be in Charles Conwell’s corner for every fight rooting for him. Rip Champ
Lairdy
Super Welterweight
Posts: 444
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 00:01

Re: Patrick Day

Post by Lairdy »

Rest in Paradise young man. :verysad:
Post Reply