Page 1 of 2

Patrick Day

Posted: 14 Oct 2019, 01:26
by diddy
Sounds like he’s in very very bad shape and needs a miracle. This sh*t is happening far too often. As I delve for answers I can’t help but think all the extreme weight cutting is making guys more susceptible to brain injuries as their body just doesn’t have the time to properly rehydrate fluid back to their brain after weigh ins. Too much crash cutting. What can be done? Honestly aside from mandatory 7-days out weigh ins where they’re within a certain % of the weigh-in weight I’m not sure what else can be done. This young man is probably gonna die. And for what? Making peanuts.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 14 Oct 2019, 03:47
by kbackup408
Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 14 Oct 2019, 08:28
by stevekrazy
:verysad:

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 14 Oct 2019, 08:31
by Boxerbeetle
Very sad situation, seems a very nice kid. Hopefully he pulls through.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 14 Oct 2019, 21:27
by IKSRTFO
kbackup408 wrote: ↑14 Oct 2019, 03:47 Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
I saw rabbit punches in that fight. Likely unintentional but still rabbit punch before the KO.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 14 Oct 2019, 21:31
by margaret thatcher
I think I read before that fighters who dehydrate to cut weight, it means the brain shrinks, which means their brains have more space to move around and can create greater impact against their skull when they get hit.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 15 Oct 2019, 20:09
by Alguiffer
I have followed this young man through out his pro career at the New York City based cards. I pray for this lad and hope he recovers.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 15 Oct 2019, 20:12
by oogiebe
kbackup408 wrote: ↑14 Oct 2019, 03:47 Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
Interesting point. I agree and I don't remember many (or any really) serious head injuries in the HW division aside from the long term affects. Really great call out.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 15 Oct 2019, 20:24
by boxing_rocks
oogiebe wrote: ↑15 Oct 2019, 20:12
kbackup408 wrote: ↑14 Oct 2019, 03:47 Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
Interesting point. I agree and I don't remember many (or any really) serious head injuries in the HW division aside from the long term affects. Really great call out.
Ali and Mago weren't heavyweights ?

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 15 Oct 2019, 20:38
by oogiebe
boxing_rocks wrote: ↑15 Oct 2019, 20:24
oogiebe wrote: ↑15 Oct 2019, 20:12

Interesting point. I agree and I don't remember many (or any really) serious head injuries in the HW division aside from the long term affects. Really great call out.
Ali and Mago weren't heavyweights ?
Ali was long term affect. Mago was an example of this topic. Good shout. Point is Mago is one. While I'm sure there are others, it does seem far less often at HW.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 15 Oct 2019, 20:43
by margaret thatcher
TBF, HW is also just one division, whereas 'other' covers lots.

That said, even going beyond HW it does seem that the trend is for more deaths at the mid or low range. I think pretty much for sure weight cutting is a factor. Also, the lighter guys throw more punches and it tends to be cumulative beatings that cause the major injuries rather than big quick kos

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 15 Oct 2019, 20:53
by oogiebe
margaret thatcher wrote: ↑15 Oct 2019, 20:43 TBF, HW is also just one division, whereas 'other' covers lots.

That said, even going beyond HW it does seem that the trend is for more deaths at the mid or low range. I think pretty much for sure weight cutting is a factor. Also, the lighter guys throw more punches and it tends to be cumulative beatings that cause the major injuries rather than big quick kos
I remember a discussion on another thread about the weight cutting. I really think that is a huge contributor.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 15 Oct 2019, 22:19
by diddy
Extreme weight cutting is absolutely a factor. It doesn’t sound like Patrick is gonna make it. Rips your heart out.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 13:59
by victor-romeo
kbackup408 wrote: ↑14 Oct 2019, 03:47 Not much if I am honest mate, everyone reacts differently when dehydrated and taking punches. Brain injuries/bleeds are less prevalent in the HW division as they aren't particularly dehydrating themselves (might be wrong)
I had the same thought, yes that guy Mago got it bad, but In general see less serious to the hospital KO's in heavyweight, and I think it is because they don't cut weight as much.

#1 thing boxing should do is review it's rules around weights and stop incentive for massive dehydration rehdyration.

As it has been said when dehydrated too much less fluid around brain and brain bounces more when head whipped around

#2 not as important but important better refereeing stop unnecessary beat downs.

There will always be injuries but these two things would reduce the incidences of them a lot .

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 14:20
by gilgamesh
I definitely hate how much this has been happening these last few years. The kinda thing you never wanna see, and we're seeing it entirely too often.

I sincerely wish Day a full recovery, even though it's not looking good.

I do believe that weight cutting probably plays a big part. Hard sparring on a regular basis probably ain't doing the brain no favors either.

There'll never be a way to completely make Boxing safe because let's face it. Knocking people out, or beating them up is hardly "safe" to begin with, but the weight cutting thing came into play because it was believed to be a benefit for the fighters. Seeing as how it should be pretty clear by now that it's not, they need to go back to same day weigh ins.

Guys need to fight their actual size, and not try to drain 20 extra pounds just because they can.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 17:54
by Ruthless-RKO
RIP. Patrick Day

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 17:56
by oogiebe
just awful.

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 17:59
by oogiebe

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 19:05
by Ricky
Did anyone watch this fight? How did it play out?

I only seen the main event.

Rip kid :verysad:

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 19:39
by gilgamesh
I just saw that he has passed. Truly a damn shame.

RIP Patrick

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 19:53
by siablo14
gilgamesh wrote: ↑16 Oct 2019, 14:20 I definitely hate how much this has been happening these last few years. The kinda thing you never wanna see, and we're seeing it entirely too often.

I sincerely wish Day a full recovery, even though it's not looking good.

I do believe that weight cutting probably plays a big part. Hard sparring on a regular basis probably ain't doing the brain no favors either.

There'll never be a way to completely make Boxing safe because let's face it. Knocking people out, or beating them up is hardly "safe" to begin with, but the weight cutting thing came into play because it was believed to be a benefit for the fighters. Seeing as how it should be pretty clear by now that it's not, they need to go back to same day weigh ins.

Guys need to fight their actual size, and not try to drain 20 extra pounds just because they can.
Should head-gear become mandatory?

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 20:13
by Jeff_lacy_ko
If its mandatory the sport is done. I dunno maybe it should be

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 21:12
by boxing_rocks

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 22:37
by Ron C
I watched it live. Heartbreaking. I’m sure he’ll be in Charles Conwell’s corner for every fight rooting for him. Rip Champ

Re: Patrick Day

Posted: 16 Oct 2019, 23:26
by Lairdy
Rest in Paradise young man. :verysad: