Boxing vs MMA worldwide

Cent0089
Super Lightweight

Boxing vs MMA worldwide

Post by Cent0089 »

DIscusssion about popularit of these 2 sports has been here many times but one thing interest me. What about popularity in different countries. Where are mma more popular than boxing and otherwise, where is boxing more popular than mma ?
DrDuke
Bantamweight

Re: Boxing vs MMA worldwide

Post by DrDuke »

Here in Russia MMA looks a bit more popular. I'd even say, UFC in particular (A lot of people just don't differ MMA from UFC). Also, Khabib is Russian (not ethnically though), so he's very popular here with his success in UFC. Furthermore, every sports clothes shop has Reebok stuff with UFC labels, so it's possible to see these three letters quite often.

However, boxing is still popular here. But MMA a bit more popular, cause I remember every goddamn man, woman and dog talking about Khabib vs McGregor. There was no such stuff with recent boxing bouts. It's funny, that a lot of casuals don't even differ MMA from boxing. They know different mayweathers, klitschkos, khabibs, mcgregors, emelianenkos, tysons and etc.

I remember some people saying stuff like "McGregor lost to Mayweather, he's no longer unbeaten, Khabib will beat him!". And when some were hearing about Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder, they were like: "Jeez, is Tyson still fighting?".

I was a bit sold on MMA in the early 2010s, but my interest in it was gone by the middle of the decade.
goose 5
Super Flyweight

Post by goose 5 »

Good post, doc.
JimStone
Super Flyweight

Post by JimStone »

Can't speak for any other man...

For me:

70s and 80s there was only boxing and Judo. Of the two boxing was way ahead for me.

90 to 96 boxing was king

97 to 07 it was mma (Pride FC was great).

07 to 20 a gradual decline in interest in both. I follow the UFC light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions. I watch Glory a bit. Used to look forward to watching Badr Hari in K1. Him v Rico is probably the most recent fight (Glory)in any promotion that has peaked my interest.
gilgamesh
Super Welterweight

Post by gilgamesh »

In the U.K. Boxing seems to be bigger. In the U.S. I'd give it to MMA, though Boxing is definitely bigger in my house.

Just depends on the person I guess.

I certainly wish Kickboxing was bigger worldwide.
p4p1
Cruiserweight

Post by p4p1 »

gilgamesh wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 14:58 In the U.K. Boxing seems to be bigger. In the U.S. I'd give it to MMA, though Boxing is definitely bigger in my house.

The fact that it isn’t is kind of crazy when you consider that a heap of casual MMA fans hate it when the fight goes to the ground. I think that to be more popular Kickboxing probably needs to go more rounds for world titles. But the 3 and 5 round fights in my experience almost guarantee that snoozefests are unlikely and if they do happen they’re over pretty quickly.
Wales
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Wales »

gilgamesh wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 14:58 In the U.K. Boxing seems to be bigger. In the U.S. I'd give it to MMA, though Boxing is definitely bigger in my house.

In the UK we have bigger boxing events with bigger boxing crowds, arguably down to the fact we have british boxing superstars.
What I am finding is more and more casuals knowing about and staying up for the likes of Adesanya v Costa that i do for (say) Lomachenko Lopez.
gregregegg
Bantamweight

Post by gregregegg »

Think MMA is defiantly more popular for young people (under 40) in Australia. I’m more into boxing but I can see the apeal. Ufc has 90% of the top guys and within the ufc they have legit rankings (not like boxing gov body’s). Then based on those legit rankings ranked guys nearly always fight within a few places of themselves.

You can really see the difference if you look at betting odds, the pandemic has actually kinda helped weirdly but for the last 5 years nearly every fight without a world title in on the line in boxing was about 10/1 odds or more (not much better in title fights..). In ufc basically every fight is less than 3/1 odds. Part due to the sport but lots due to the matchmaking.
Enlightened-One
Super Bantamweight

Post by Enlightened-One »

If boxing was less popular than MMA, then fight cards would generate smaller gate receipts and also attract fewer PPV buys/TV audience figures. Boxers would also be paid less money than their mixed-martial art counterparts, but this clearly isn't the case.

The money has to come from somewhere, since the sport of boxing has never been controlled by particularly altruistic managers, promoters, TV networks and governing bodies.

Boxing has a lot of flaws, but so has MMA organisations like the UFC.

For instance: one could argue that there are too many UFC events being staged per year (lacking established names), so the market could be over saturated. Also, if you review the top-ten UFC PPV events, they’re all headlined by three fighters (McGregor, Lesnar and Rousey) and haven’t they all retired?

I suspect that MMA will continue to grow in popularity and within a decade or so, eventually overtake boxing. However, I don’t think it’s there just yet.
Best Coast
Featherweight

Post by Best Coast »

Based on the figures in this article, it looks like the number of MMA fights worldwide are being affected more than the number of boxing matches by the pandemic.

Total number of MMA fights worldwide from March-September 2020 > 3,764
Total number of boxing matches worldwide from March-September 2020 > 5,150

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/300 ... broke-2020
From March 1, 2019, to Sept. 1, 2019, there were 19,371 mixed martial arts fights in the world, according to record-keeper Tapology. Between March 1, 2020, and Sept. 1, 2020, there were only 3,764 -- an 80.6% drop. In the United States, the number of MMA fights went from 5,377 between March 1 and Sept. 1 of last year to 861 during that same time span this year.

In boxing, the numbers are just as stark. Last year, there were 15,856 boxing matches worldwide between March 1 and Sept. 1, per BoxRec. This year? Just 5,150, which is a 67.5% drop. In the United States, there were 3,443 boxing matches from March 1, 2019, to Sept. 1, 2019. During that same period this year, there were just 1,508.