Are Wars Won By Ideology

SticknMove
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Are Wars Won By Ideology

Post by SticknMove »

It's such an interesting one this. What does everyone think? Sorry for being a pudenda.
Jaguar
Mod
Mod

Re: Are Wars Won By Ideology

Post by Jaguar »

They might be caused by ideology. They're won (and lost) by military endeavour.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Won by money, and if the USA want you to win or not
Jaguar
Mod
Mod

Post by Jaguar »

Coco wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 12:11 Won by money, and if the USA want you to win or not
The USA don't always win wars.
Lenny Cravats
Super Welterweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

Jaguar wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 15:31
Coco wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 12:11 Won by money, and if the USA want you to win or not
I think they're 3-1, with 4NC's since 1945.
banjo
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by banjo »

No they're won by soldiers, not ideals, politics or religion but by soldiers on the frontline who often have to endure and commit some horrific deeds in order to achieve victory.
Jaguar
Mod
Mod

Post by Jaguar »

Lenny Cravats wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:20
I've got both Vietnam and Afghanistan down as losses. How are you seeing Korea?
Lenny Cravats
Super Welterweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

Jaguar wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:30

I'm figuring they've lost at least two - Vietnam and Afghanistan.
Well, they toppled the Taliban, installed a new government and disrupted the training camps, sent Bin Laden into hiding before executing him..... primary objectives completed.

A massive shitshow of a war, then pulling out and having the Taliban take over again.

I put it down for a NC.

Vietnam, definite loss.
Jaguar
Mod
Mod

Post by Jaguar »

Lenny Cravats wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:34
Jaguar wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:30

I'm figuring they've lost at least two - Vietnam and Afghanistan.
Well, they toppled the Taliban, installed a new government and disrupted the training camps, sent Bin Laden into hiding before executing him..... primary objectives completed.

A massive shitshow of a war, then pulling out and having the Taliban take over again.

I put it down for a NC.

Vietnam, definite loss.
This is why I see it ultimately as a L. Ultimately, they got their arses run out of there. As did we. But, yes, they did complete their original objectives. So, maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Maybe the septics can be hit and miss in winning wars, there is 8 you have mentioned, but think again, think of where the US has give "aid" to further their aims.

Now their win rate looks much better.

Netemyaho would have curbed his genocidal instincts without US support.

The Russians would have beaten the Ukrainians a long time ago without that US support
gilgamesh
Super Middleweight

Post by gilgamesh »

Might makes right.

That old saying has always been true in War.
Noxy
Welterweight

Post by Noxy »

I actually find the Vietnam war - US was defeated - argument a bit strange. When the US was involved, at least as I understand it, they did what they were there to do, i.e. protect the South Vietnam regime. The US line when they left was - we've stabilised the south Vietnam government, now we'll leave you to get on with it. It was only after the Americans left that the Vietcong took over.
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the US being there, militarily they were handling the Vietcong. In the Tet offensive, the Vietcong were beaten back and suffered heavy losses. So, surely that was a defeat for them.
I do get it that the US probably didn't expect the resistance they met when they went in to Vietnam, but I find it hard to equate that with a defeat. Maybe not a win either, but somewhere in between.
Tony1244
Super Middleweight

Post by Tony1244 »

Noxy wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 15:32 I actually find the Vietnam war - US was defeated - argument a bit strange. When the US was involved, at least as I understand it, they did what they were there to do, i.e. protect the South Vietnam regime. The US line when they left was - we've stabilised the south Vietnam government, now we'll leave you to get on with it. It was only after the Americans left that the Vietcong took over.
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the US being there, militarily they were handling the Vietcong. In the Tet offensive, the Vietcong were beaten back and suffered heavy losses. So, surely that was a defeat for them.
I do get it that the US probably didn't expect the resistance they met when they went in to Vietnam, but I find it hard to equate that with a defeat. Maybe not a win either, but somewhere in between.
The US wasn't defeated on the battlefield but the US didn't win either. I can go along with putting the war in the "L-column" because we didn't want N. Vietnam and the Viet Cong to take over S. Vietnam and that's exactly what happened.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Noxy wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 15:32 I actually find the Vietnam war - US was defeated - argument a bit strange. When the US was involved, at least as I understand it, they did what they were there to do, i.e. protect the South Vietnam regime. The US line when they left was - we've stabilised the south Vietnam government, now we'll leave you to get on with it. It was only after the Americans left that the Vietcong took over.
Like in Afghanistan
Beltane
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Beltane »

A couple of lines from an old movie, which is representative of all wars:

French general; How these Spanish love their moment of truth - to drench the ground with their blood - to die. Why?

French observer: Probably because it is their ground, General.
Tony1244
Super Middleweight

Post by Tony1244 »

"Democracy don't rule the world
You better get that in your head
This world is ruled by violence
But I guess that's better left unsaid"
Mr. Bob Dylan

Some people get their wisdom from the Bible or the Koran, I get mine mostly from great lyrics.
BoxBuzz
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by BoxBuzz »

I watched the movie "civil war" yesterday. For someone who thinks vicious disagreement itself can be as probematic as any topic we disagree about, I found it interesting. For one....it's not explained but in this fiction the two states that "aligned" as the imposing "western front" and likely victors within this story was a great story line. What do Texas and California have in common? Nothing you say? Think again. Neither of them are fans of DC. One of them thinks DC is way to left, the other thinks that DC is way too right. (Or at least that's the perception) So what each of these diverse states want is their own independence. The writers or screenwriters do a good job to try to keep it "even keel" they do allude that Florida has started a stated "alliance" with the Western Front and have attempted to get the Carolina's on board with them. And it is stated within the conversations that most believe that once the "Western Front" is victorious....these players will turn on themselves. So it's a very slightly skewed to the left, for the viewing audience as any good hollywood production that want's proper funding should be.

Oh, and as a bit of fun.... back home relatives of some of the main characters of the story line, living in both Colorado and Missouri are at home trying to pretend the conflict is not happening.

But yeah the role of the media is the focus....and to it's credit....the photographers, and objective writers are given heroic status. I agree with that. But it's clear that what's winning the war is the group with superior fire power, and less "sensitivity". DC has the rhetoric, but the WF has the hardware. lol

I also came away with a greater appreciation for TRUE journalists who simply report the facts of the events. And not so much the "truth" that lies within the facts. Because facts are measurable. Truth? or the "spirit" of the story? Well that's up to you and me.
SticknMove
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by SticknMove »

Ideology and Wars are going to co-exist for a very long time into our future unfortunately. ;-)
Baby Face Finster
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Baby Face Finster »

Beltane wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 07:51 A couple of lines from an old movie, which is representative of all wars:

French general; How these Spanish love their moment of truth - to drench the ground with their blood - to die. Why?

The best war quote I have ever heard was in the movie '71 where one character says about the army "posh cunts telling thick cunts to kill poor cunts.

Check it out if you haven't already:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2614684/?ref_=ttqu_ov_i
BoxBuzz
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by BoxBuzz »

Baby Face Finster wrote: 03 May 2024, 18:50
Beltane wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 07:51 A couple of lines from an old movie, which is representative of all wars:

The best war quote I have ever heard was in the movie '71 where one character says about the army "posh cunts telling thick cunts to kill poor cunts.

Check it out if you haven't already:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2614684/?ref_=ttqu_ov_i
posh...thick...poor...........how do we find ourselves in agreement about this sensible statement?
ironbeard
Super Bantamweight

Post by ironbeard »

Throughout history it has generally been required to establish an ideology in order to prosecute a war, as well as to defend against and ultimately defeat the offending ideology. The ideology might not be more intricate than a simple cult of personality, or simply the antithesis of the offending ideology.

For example; the Ukraine “war” is essentially being utilized by Putin to galvanize Putinlanders into total dedication to an ideology conducive to his purposes. That galvanization is actively being accomplished through immersive propaganda that includes a rewriting of history, and (in fact) education; through an infliction of hybrid religious orthodoxy; through restrictions on human and civil rights; through traditional and hybrid nationalism.

Ukraine’s only hope in the conflict is to nurture an antithetical ideology. But, that antithetical ideology cannot be victorious without the military means necessary to counter and defeat the invader. That military means must come from entities that not only support Ukraine’s ideology but share it to a significant degree.

What has been changing for decades, and is now accelerating at an alarming pace, is the obsolescence of ideology due to the impending obsolescence of the human element with regard to the prosecution of war. Technology has been a valuable tool in the rallying of human capital under an ideology for various purposes. Technology is accelerating towards replacing ideology as well as human capital for the various purposes.

It is entirely within the realm of possibility that technology has already reached the replacement era. After all, our consciousness of the development is not required.
JamesPhilips
Super Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

Ideology backed with propaganda, then most importantly followed my extreme violence that’s ‘justified’ by the former.
BoxBuzz
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by BoxBuzz »

JamesPhilips wrote: 09 May 2024, 05:39 Ideology backed with propaganda, then most importantly followed my extreme violence that’s ‘justified’ by the former.
But wait....you've forgotten one of the most important ingredients. A good helping of uninformed, or uninterested populace.
SticknMove
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by SticknMove »

ironbeard wrote: 06 May 2024, 18:13 Throughout history it has generally been required to establish an ideology in order to prosecute a war, as well as to defend against and ultimately defeat the offending ideology. The ideology might not be more intricate than a simple cult of personality, or simply the antithesis of the offending ideology.

For example; the Ukraine “war” is essentially being utilized by Putin to galvanize Putinlanders into total dedication to an ideology conducive to his purposes. That galvanization is actively being accomplished through immersive propaganda that includes a rewriting of history, and (in fact) education; through an infliction of hybrid religious orthodoxy; through restrictions on human and civil rights; through traditional and hybrid nationalism.

Ukraine’s only hope in the conflict is to nurture an antithetical ideology. But, that antithetical ideology cannot be victorious without the military means necessary to counter and defeat the invader. That military means must come from entities that not only support Ukraine’s ideology but share it to a significant degree.

What has been changing for decades, and is now accelerating at an alarming pace, is the obsolescence of ideology due to the impending obsolescence of the human element with regard to the prosecution of war. Technology has been a valuable tool in the rallying of human capital under an ideology for various purposes. Technology is accelerating towards replacing ideology as well as human capital for the various purposes.

It is entirely within the realm of possibility that technology has already reached the replacement era. After all, our consciousness of the development is not required.

Are you suggesting that AI is going to replace it all? I am not seeing an obsolescence of ideology....in actual fact I see the opposite.
JamesPhilips
Super Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

BoxBuzz wrote: 10 May 2024, 17:50
JamesPhilips wrote: 09 May 2024, 05:39 Ideology backed with propaganda, then most importantly followed my extreme violence that’s ‘justified’ by the former.
But wait....you've forgotten one of the most important ingredients. A good helping of uninformed, or uninterested populace.
I’d say a deliberately misinformed populace 👍🏼