Duane Thomas vs. John Mugabi
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Mugabi 152 lbs lost to Duane Thomas 153 lbs by TKO at 0:56 in round 3 of 12
- Date: 1986-12-05
- Location: Caesars Palace, Sports Pavilion, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Carlos Padilla
- Judge: Jerry Roth 20-18
- Judge: Miguel Donate 20-18
- Judge: Arlen Bynum 20-18
- WBC World Super Welterweight Title (Vacant)
- Promoter: Bob Arum (Top Rank)
- Ring Announcer: Chuck Hull
- Aired On: Showtime Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- Mugabi ranked number 1, Thomas number 2 for the title relinquished by Thomas Hearns.
- Mugabi was leading on the cards of all judges but turned away from Thomas in round three after sustaining an orbital bone injury inflicted by a Thomas punch and Padilla stopped the bout. (The Square Ring).
- Mugabi takes a brutal accidental thumb in his left eye and can't continue. In a strange twist, before fight Mugabi argued against using thumb tabbed gloves and sadly got his wish.