Ezzard Charles vs. Lee Oma
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ezzard Charles 185 lbs beat Lee Oma 193 lbs by TKO at 1:19 in round 10 of 15
- Date: 1951-01-12
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Ruby Goldstein
- NBA Heavyweight Title (6th defense by Charles)
- NYSAC Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Charles)
- Photo 2
- Charles was defending the NBA title for the sixth times and the NYSAC title for the second time.
- Oma was a 6-1 underdog.
- A crowd of 11,504 paid a gross gate of $54,185.
- Charles earned $18,722, and Oma made $9,456.
- Referee Ruby Goldstein took rounds five and eight from Charles for low blows.
- Scoring was on a rounds basis, with a supplemental points system in case of a draw. The referee had Charles ahead 7-2, and Judge Charley Shortell had Charles in front 6-3. Judge Frank Forbes had the fight 4-4-1 in rounds, but he had Charles leading 7-4 on points.
- The Associated Press reported: "Referee Ruby Goldstein halted the often bullish bout with Oma still on his feet—he was never knocked down during the evening—but reeling around the ring from a barrage of punishing lefts and rights to the head. Oma was on the verge of a knockout when Goldstein stepped in." AP