Floyd Patterson vs. Tom McNeeley
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Floyd Patterson 188 lbs beat Tom McNeeley 197 lbs by KO at 2:51 in round 4 of 15
- Date: 1961-12-04
- Location: Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Referee: Jersey Joe Walcott
- McNeeley was a 10 to 1 underdog.
- The fight was shown on closed circuit TV at 150 locations in the United States and Canada. The closed circuit show included Sonny Liston vs. Albert Westphal from Philadelphia.
- A crowd of 7,814 at Maple Leaf Gardens paid $100,740.
- Patterson earned about $300,000 and McNeeley $125,000.
- It is deabted how many times exactly McNeeley was down. Some people say as few as eight, while others say he was down thirteen times. McNeeley went down twice in the first round (the second time was ruled a slip), six times in the third (the third fall was called a slip) and three times in the fourth, 11 times in total.