Name: Jose Becerra
Birth Name: José Becerra Covarrubias
Hometown: Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Birthplace: Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Died: 2016-08-06 (Age:80)
Pro Boxer: Record
Jose Becerra was the youngest of five children; born to a poor family. His parents were Maria Covarrubias and Jesus Becerra. At age 12, in the 5th grade, he quit school to work in a carriage repair shop.
Becerra was discovered by veteran Mexican fight manger, Pancho Rosales, who developed the youngster's skills.
Becerra received his first public notice in the Mexican sports world by scoring an upset over the vastly more experienced Manuel Armenteros. After some ups and downs, Becerra earned a top 10 ranking by knocking out former world champion Mario D'Agata. A short time later, Becerra won the World Bantamweight Championship with a knockout over Alphonse Halimi.
After two successful title defenses, Becerra lost a stunning upset, being knocked out by club-fighter Eloy Sanchez in a non-title fight. Becerra was so dejected by the defeat that he announced his retirement at age 24.
In 1962, Mexican club fighter Rudy Coronado was seriously injured in a fight. On a special benefit show for Coronado and his family, Becerra returned to the ring and won a 6 round decision over Alberto Martinez. Becerra donated his fight-purse to the injured boxer's family. Becerra never fought again.
As world champion, Becerra went on a successful exhibition tour that drew big crowds:
- 1959: Sept. 1-Sandy Garcia, Fresno, CA....Exh. 4 rounds
- 1959: Sept. 3-Joe Vargas, Stockton, CA......Exh. TKO 3 rounds
- 1959: Sept. 8- Willie Sanchez, San Jose, CA. Exh. 2 rounds
- 1959: Sept. 8-Cy Ruiz, San Jose, CA,........Exh. 2 rounds
- 1959: Sept. 9-Eduardo Santos, El Paso, TX.. Exh. 4 rounds
- 1959: Sept. ?-Jessie Leija, San Antonio, TX. Exh. 4 rounds
- 1959: Sept. 14-Henry Miramontes, Dallas, TX. Exh. 4 rounds
- Dan Cuoco Article