Ken Buchanan vs. Carlos Ortiz
Carlos Ortiz 139 lbs lost to Ken Buchanan 134 lbs by RTD in round 6 of 10
- Date: 1972-09-20
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: George Coyle
- Ortiz surrendered on his stool after 6th.
"36 year old Carlos Ortiz, twice the former lightweight champion, was unable to come out for the 7th round Wednesday night, thus former lightweight champ Ken Buchanan was the winner. Ortiz, obviously exhausted although he had opened a cut beside Buchanan's right eye in the 4th, failed to answer the bell for the 7th round. Buchanan swarmed over Ortiz throughout the fight. The Scotsman was the aggressor throughout and Ortiz, who came into the ring with nine straight victories on the comeback trail, was simply unable to withstand the steady pressure Buchanan exerted. Buchanan, who took this fight on short notice, did not punch sharply, but his superior condition was just too much for Ortiz to overcome." -United Press International
- Ortiz' original opponent, lightweight champion Roberto Duran, pulled out of this fight citing the flu.
Post fight comments
- "I paced myself. I was on vacation when I got a call from Garden matchmaker Teddy Brenner eight days ago so I only had six days of training." -Ken Buchanan
- "This was definitely my last fight. I started tiring in the 4th round. And I realized after the 6th that I couldn't go on and I didn't want to make a fool of myself. I was in the best shape I could have been. Time just caught up with me." -Carlos Ortiz