Mike Tyson vs. Andrew Golota
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mike Tyson 222 lbs fought without result Andrew Golota 240 lbs by NC at 3:00 in round 2 of 10
- Date: 2000-10-20
- Location: The Palace, Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA
- Referee: Frank Garza
- Judge: Brad Wright
- Judge: Rosemary Grable
- Judge: Bernard Teachout
- After the second round, Golota got off his stool and began to walk around his corner refusing to fight another round. The referee had no choice but to award the fight to Tyson.
- Golota was pelted with garbage and drinks as he was rushed to his dressing room.
- Golota, although behind on the scorecards, was very much into the fight but retired on his stool saying "I quit" to the cornerman, who acted in disbelief. Later it is revealed that Golota had a broken bone in his head, which could have pierced his brain, should the fight have continued. Golota claimed in the dressing room that Tyson was headbutting him all the time during the fight, but the referee did not warn Tyson.
- After the bout, Tyson tested positive for marijuana, which led the commission to change the result from a technical knockout to no contest.
- Golota would not fight again for 3 years after this controversial match.
- Program Cover.