Muhammad Ali vs. Floyd Patterson (2nd meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Muhammad Ali 218 lbs beat Floyd Patterson 188 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 7 of 12
- Date: 1972-09-20
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante 6-1
- Judge: Tony Castellano 3-3
- Judge: Jack Gordon 4-2
- NABF Heavyweight Title (4th defense by Ali)
- Photo #2, Photo #3
- See Also: Muhammad Ali vs. Floyd Patterson (1st meeting)
- A crowd of 17,378 produced a gate of $512,361 at Madison Square Garden.
- Ali was guaranteed $250,000 against 35% of all revenues. Patterson was guaranteed $100,000 against 20%.
- The unofficial AP scorecard - through 7 completed rounds - read 5-2 for Ali.
- Ali opened a cut above Patterson's left eye in the sixth round.
- Patterson's left eye was swollen shut by the end of the seventh round, and the fight was stopped.
- This was the last fight of Patterson's professional career.
- "Patterson is a great, great fighter. I thought he'd be nothing, but he surprised me. I didn't knock him out. I didn't get him on a TKO. All I did was close his eye." - Muhammad Ali after the fight
Ali vs. Quarry II
| NABF Heavyweight Title Fight
Ali vs. Foster