Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Bugner (1st meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Muhammad Ali 217 lbs beat Joe Bugner 219 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Date: 1973-02-14
- Location: Convention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Buddy Basilico
- Judge: Lou Tabat 56-53
- Judge: Roland Dakin 57-54
- Judge: Ralph Mosa 57-52
- The fight took place at the Las Vegas Convention Center before a crowd of 5,700.
- Ali entered the ring wearing a jewel-studded robe bearing the inscription "People's Choice" on the back. It was a gift from Elvis Presley and cost around $3,000.
- Ali was an 8 to 1 favorite and predicted a seventh-round KO.
- Ali opened a cut over Bugner's left eye in the first round.
- Bugner lost his next bout to Smokin' Joe Frazier, but he won his next eight fights and got a rematch with Ali for the World Heavyweight Championship in 1975.