Rex Layne vs. Rocky Marciano
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rocky Marciano 185 lbs beat Rex Layne 193 lbs by KO at 0:35 in round 6 of 10
- Date: 1951-07-12
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Mark Conn
- The fight was shown in 11 theaters in eight cities.
- Layne was an 11 to 5 betting favorite.
- A crowd of 12,565 paid $73,190.
- Marciano hit Layne on the chin with an overhand right early in the sixth round. After a delayed reaction, Layne fell to the canvas face forward in a hunched position. Once he hit the canvas, he rolled over to his left side and was counted out.
- Marciano bloodied Layne's nose and mouth, opened a cut above his left eye, knocked out two teeth and smashed his bridgework.
- Referee Mark Conn and Judge Jack O'Sullivan had Marciano ahead 5-0, while Judge Arthur Susskind had him in front 3-2.