Rocky Marciano vs. Don Cockell
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rocky Marciano 189 lbs beat Don Cockell 205 lbs by TKO at 0:54 in round 9 of 15
- Date: 1955-05-16
- Location: Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, California, USA
- Referee: Frankie Brown
- World Heavyweight Championship (5th defense by Marciano)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5
- Ticket stub
- The fight was shown on closed circuit TV in 83 theaters in 59 cities.
- There was a crowd of 18,000 at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco.
- The contract called for Marciano to receive 40% of the net gate and Cockell 20%.
- Cockell was knocked through the ropes head first at the end of the 8th round. Marciano floored him twice more in the 9th.
- In his dressing room after the fight, Cockell said he got a "raw deal." His manager complained that the referee allowed Marciano to headbutt, hit low and punch after the bell.
- In April 1956, the chief investigator for the California Governor's special committee investigating boxing accused promoter Jimmy Murray of shortchanging both fighters and paying $10,000 "on the side" to Al Weill, Marciano's manager. Murray and Weill denied the allegations.