Ben,ben geoghegan wrote:Boy the bs is flying freely in this thread!
* Sullivan never fought Muldoon! This whopper has been embellished and carried on by eager fans over the years. If someone produces a newspaper report from that time and date contradicting me I will sit here with egg on my face but until then, it's virtual fantasy and should be treated as such. "From what I understand", "I heard once", "is said to have", "I would imagine". When you see these comments preface "facts", is folly not scholarship. When you are making a guess, identify it as such.
* Sullivan was a total novice at wrestling at the time of the Kilrain fight though Muldoon did train him in wrestling. But not greco since it was useless for prizefighting.
* Greco-roman wrestling had nothing to do with LPR. LPR predates greco in England by over a hundred years. The few wrestling techniques prizefighters used were from Cumberland and Westmoreland wrestling. Read the old books and you will see that there wasn't as much wrestling in LPR as people suppose today because of the early Queensberry film. A prizefighter couldn't wrestle a man in LPR because he was at risk of being thrown so he had to be wary. Boxers couldn't chip or buttock in Queensberry so holding became more prevalent.
* Muldoon wasn't in Jeffries camp in any training capacity, he was only a visitor.
* Gotch wasn't in Jeffries camp in any functional capacity.
* There was no significant challenge between Foreman and Bruno Sammartino. But Sammartino did spar with Sonny Liston once in New York when he was young and Liston was the champ and he took a beating.
There was a gentleman who passed away a number of years ago by the name of Tim Geoghegan.
He was a fantastic grappler as I have heard and read. Wrestled proffesionaly also.
Any relation to you?