Ken Norton vs David Tua

gilgamesh
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 47579
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by gilgamesh »

It was a hard punch from a hard puncher. Don't know what else you need it to be in Heavyweight Boxing.

Moorer went on to win 9 of his next 10 after losing like that to Tua and was never again stopped.

Norton after being knocked out in similarly devastating fashion by Cooney never won another fight.

Fun facts: Earnie Shavers and Gerry Cooney combined knocked out 3 former World Champions and Ken Norton is 2 of the 3.

David Tua knocked out 4 Former World Champions. 2 of them in the 1st round.

Ken Norton was knocked out in the 1st round twice as often as Michael Moorer was.

David Tua won more fights by KO than Norton won period.
gilgamesh
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 47579
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by gilgamesh »

Oh one more fun fact why not?

Ken Norton was knocked out more often than Michael Moorer in less fights.
Ambling Alp II
Super Middleweight
Posts: 15420
Joined: 04 Nov 2012, 18:31

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by Ambling Alp II »

Wow I was about to move on. And now this ?

So you are back to ignoring when a fighter is in a prime, and ignoring the quality of opponents. :roll:

Moorer didn't get stopped in his last 10 fights? You left out that none of his opponents had any power. Most were total stiffs.
So what if Norton never fought after Cooney? He was totally shot by then.

Norton was knocked out twice in the first round. Past his prime by Shavers (the hardest puncher ever) and by Cooney who was a huge puncher.

Yes Tua was a very hard puncher. Never said he wasn't. Just said he never landed a punch that should have knocked out a fighter with a half-way decent chin. All that I was saying. He probably would have caught with Moorer sooner or later with a huge punch, but he hadn't at that point.

When they were actually active, virtually everyone knew that Morrer had a glass jaw. People were not saying that when Norton actually fighting. It's mostly younger fans who go on the database and look for losses by guys before their time, and take things out of context.

Fun Fact: Ken Norton beat Ali.
Fun Fact: Norton went the distance 3x with Ali and was never stopped. Ali did stop Liston, Foreman, Frazier etc.
Fun Fact: If you watched Norton against Holmes, you would see him take a lot of hard shots over 15 rounds and he kept coming back. Holmes stopped 11 of his next 12 opponents.
gilgamesh
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 47579
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by gilgamesh »

I did watch Norton against Holmes. I watched all available footage of Norton. I didn't check out Norton's record and look for losses. I watched the fights, and saw the losses.

The shot that Tua landed on Moorer would've at minimum hurt Norton, but Norton may well have been harder to hit. Not being a Southpaw though maybe not, and he did get caught in the 1st round twice.

I must admit it is funny how the well you keep coming back to with Norton to prove his greatness is that he lost real good a few times.

I remember Larry Merchant making the comment after the Lennox Lewis vs Razor Ruddock fight "Always be a little skeptical of the guy who made his reputation off of fights he didn't win"
Ambling Alp II
Super Middleweight
Posts: 15420
Joined: 04 Nov 2012, 18:31

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by Ambling Alp II »

Norton made his reputation by beating Ali. I just pointed that fight out. He was very highly regarded for several years before he fought Holmes.
gilgamesh
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 47579
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by gilgamesh »

I just said I watched all of his fights. Why do you think that means I need reminded of what he did? You think I watched the 2nd and 3rd Ali fights and not the 1st one?

Beating Ali didn't help his chin none against hard punching Shavers or Cooney did it?

Norton is a problem for boxers. He can cut the ring off well with his long strides and his weird rhythm seemed hard for them to time.

Punchers are a problem for Norton. Name me a KO artist that Norton beat. You can't.

But I can sure name you some former Champions that Tua beat.

For the most part this thread has run its course. Most are picking Tua, but acknowledging Norton has a shot if Tua shows up in less than stellar shape. Both men at their best. I'm taking Tua.
gilgamesh
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 47579
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by gilgamesh »

Me: I watched all available footage of (insert fighter's) fights

Alp: You should watch him. He did this and that.

Fighter after fighter. Thread after thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ambling Alp II
Super Middleweight
Posts: 15420
Joined: 04 Nov 2012, 18:31

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by Ambling Alp II »

Yes, I think that you do need to be reminded about a lot of things. About the only thing that I agree with you about is that this thread has run it's course. :wave:
Cent0089
Super Middleweight
Posts: 3651
Joined: 03 May 2013, 13:02

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by Cent0089 »

gilgamesh wrote: ↑02 Oct 2026, 16:37 Me: I watched all available footage of (insert fighter's) fights

Alp: You should watch him. He did this and that.

Fighter after fighter. Thread after thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He just lost all remaining credibility by claiming he and i would take Tua punches :clap: :clap: :clap: .
gilgamesh
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 47579
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by gilgamesh »

Cent0089 wrote: ↑Yesterday, 00:59
gilgamesh wrote: ↑02 Oct 2026, 16:37 Me: I watched all available footage of (insert fighter's) fights

Alp: You should watch him. He did this and that.

Fighter after fighter. Thread after thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He just lost all remaining credibility by claiming he and i would take Tua punches :clap: :clap: :clap: .
In all fairness I don't think he said THAT, but he did say that the right hand that knocked out Moorer wasn't a knockout blow which in itself is a silly comment. I've certainly seen many people knocked out from less of a blow than the one Tua landed on Moorer.
Expug
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 4579
Joined: 27 Dec 2005, 18:40

Re: Ken Norton vs David Tua

Post by Expug »

I don’t think Kenny had a bad chin but he did have problems with big punchers. They would throw him off his game plan and put him on his back foot. Guys like Foreman and Shavers would come forward and bang right through his cross arm defense backing him up. Those guys would punch right through Kenny’s feints also.
Fighters that are huge punchers were dangerous in that regard also. They make you fight their fight and its lights out.
Kenny had problems fighting backing up. Most fighters do.
Post Reply