Ezzard Charles vs. Jersey Joe Walcott (3rd meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ezzard Charles 182 lbs lost to Jersey Joe Walcott 194 lbs by KO at 0:55 in round 7 of 15
- Date: 1951-07-18
- Location: Forbes Field, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- Referee: Buck McTiernan 1-5
- Judge: Red Robinson 3-3
- Judge: Charley Daggert 1-4
- NBA Heavyweight Title (9th defense by Charles)
- NYSAC Heavyweight Title (5th defense by Charles)
- Photo #2
- This was the first World Heavyweight Championship fight to be held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- A crowd of 28,272 produced a gross gate of $245,000.
- Walcott was a 9-1 underdog.
- This was Walcott's fifth attempt to win the World Heavyweight Championship.
- Walcott put Charles down for the count with a left hook to the jaw in round seven.
- The Associated Press had Walcott ahead 4-2 at the time of the knockout.
- At the age of 37, Walcott became the oldest boxer ever to win the World Heavyweight Championship. The record was broken 43 years later when 45-year-old George Foreman scored a 10th-round knockout of Michael Moorer to win the title.
- The fight was named 1951 Fight of the Year by The Ring Magazine.
- Ezzard Charles vs. Jersey Joe Walcott I
- Ezzard Charles vs. Jersey Joe Walcott II
- Ezzard Charles vs. Jersey Joe Walcott IV