Jersey Joe Walcott vs. Rocky Marciano (1st meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rocky Marciano 185 lbs beat Jersey Joe Walcott 196 lbs by KO at 0:43 in round 13 of 15
- Date: 1952-09-23
- Location: Municipal Stadium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Referee: Charley Daggert 4-7
- Judge: Zach Clayton 4-8
- Judge: Pete Tomasco 5-7
- World Heavyweight Championship (2nd defense by Walcott)
- See also: Rocky Marciano vs. Jersey Joe Walcott (2nd meeting)
- The fight was shown on closed circuit TV in 50 theaters in 31 cities coast to coast.
- Marciano was a slight betting favorite.
- A left hook from Walcott floored Marciano early in the first round. It was the first time in his 43-fight professional career that Marciano had been knocked down. He got up at the count of four.
- Going into the 13th round, Walcott was ahead on all three official scorecards. Early in the round, Walcott backed up to the ropes and began to launch a right hand, but Marciano beat him to it and put him down for the count with a right to the jaw.
- The fight was named The Ring Fight of the Year.
- The 13th round was named The Ring Round of the Year.
- The fight was named the 16th Greatest Title Fight of All-Time by The Ring in 1996.
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Poster.