Rocky Marciano vs. Jersey Joe Walcott (2nd meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rocky Marciano 185 lbs beat Jersey Joe Walcott 198 lbs by KO at 2:25 in round 1 of 15
- Date: 1953-05-15
- Location: Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Frank Sikora
- World Heavyweight Championship (1st defense by Marciano)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4
- See Also: Jersey Joe Walcott vs. Rocky Marciano (1st meeting)
- Marciano was a 16 to 5 betting favorite.
- In a pre-fight Associated Press poll, 34 of 36 sportswriters picked Marciano to win.
- The fight was televised live on NBC.
- There was a crowd of 13,266.
- The gross gate was $321,794, and the net was $253,462.
- Marciano received 30% of the net gate, and Walcott got a flat $250,000.
- With less than a minute remaining in the first round, Walcott threw a jab and Marciano countered with a left hook and a right uppercut that sent the off-balance Walcott sprawling on his back, his feet flying high above him. The challenger pulled himself up to a sitting position, one hand on the ropes, and appeared unhurt. He then sat there and let the referee count him out. Once the fatal ten was reached, Walcott hoisted himself to his feet and complained that he had received a fast count.