Joe Frazier vs. Dave Zyglewicz
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Joe Frazier 205 lbs beat Dave Zyglewicz 190 lbs by KO at 1:36 in round 1 of 15
- Date: 1969-04-22
- Location: Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Jimmy Webb
- Zyglewicz was originally going to face Jimmy Ellis for the WBA heavyweight title, but Ellis decided not to take the fight after he discussed the matter with Joe "Shotgun" Sheldon, one of his sparring partners. Sheldon told Ellis that officials in Texas wouldn't let him win. "It's Houston," Sheldon explained, "where they are all white sheriffs down there. And the referee is white and the boxer is white. You think you're going to knock that boxer out? If you knock him out, they will disqualify you."
- Frazier was recognized as World Heavyweight Champion by New York, Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Maine and Massachusetts, as well as Mexico and Argentina.
- Zyglewicz was a 10 to 1 underdog.
- Zyglewicz—a native of Watervliet, New York—lived in Houston.
- The pro-Zyglewicz crowd of 8,500 paid approximately $127,000 to see the fight.
- Frazier got 40% of the gate, and Zyglewicz got 20%.
- Zyglewicz was counted out 96 seconds into the first round. He had been knocked down twice by left hooks.