Joe Louis vs. Arturo Godoy (2nd meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Joe Louis 199 lbs beat Arturo Godoy 202 lbs by TKO at 1:24 in round 8 of 15
- Date: 1940-06-20
- Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York, USA
- Referee: Billy Cavanaugh
- Judge: Marty Monroe
- Judge: Bill Healy
- World Heavyweight Championship (11th defense by Louis)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5
- See also: Joe Louis vs. Arturo Godoy (1st meeting)
- There was a crowd of 27,786.
- The gross gate was $149,505.
- Louis' purse was $59,802, and Godoy's was $26,153.38.
- Louis was a 5-1 betting favorite.
- Godoy's face was badly battered. The Associated Press reported that his face looked like "barbecued beef."
- Godoy was floored late in the seventh round. He got up right before the bell rang to end the round.
- Louis dropped Godoy twice in the eighth round. After the second knockdown, the referee stopped the fight without a count. Godoy tried to go after Louis when he got up, but he was restrained. Later, when he had calmed down, Godoy shook Louis' hand and congratulated him.
- "That's the worst beating I ever gave a man," Louis said after the fight.