Jose Torres vs. Eddie Cotton
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Jose Torres 173 lbs beat Eddie Cotton 174 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Date: 1966-08-15
- Location: Convention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Nat Torres 70-67
- Judge: Mike Petrovich 68-67
- Judge: Ron Amos 69-67
- Torres was a 7 to 2 betting favorite against the 40-year-old Cotton.
- There was an announced crowd of 4,300 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
- The Associated Press scored the fight a draw, 69-69.
- The UPI scored the fight 70-67 for Torres
- The Las Vegas SUN had two writers score unofficially. Royce Feour had it 69-68 for Torres and Jimmy (The Greek) Snyder scored it 70-68 also in favour of Torres.
- The crowd booed the decision in favor of Torres.
- The 14th round ended 20 seconds early. As a result, Cotton filed a protest after the bout. He asked that the fight be declared a no contest, but his request was denied by both the Nevada State Athletic Commission and the World Boxing Association. Petitions bearing the names of 3,972 people were sent to Senator Warren W. Magnuson, Cotton's home-state senator, asking him to use his influence as the chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee to change the verdict. However, that too was unsuccessful.
- The fight was named 1966 Fight of the Year by The Ring.