Matthew Saad Muhammad vs. Yaqui Lopez (2nd meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Matthew Saad Muhammad 174 lbs beat Yaqui Lopez 174 lbs by TKO at 2:03 in round 14 of 15
- Date: 1980-07-13
- Location: Great Gorge Playboy Club, McAfee, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Waldemar Schmidt 124-123
- Judge: Paul Cavalier 125-123
- Judge: Frank Brunette 125-122
- WBC World Light Heavyweight Title (4th defense by Saad Muhammad)
- Ring Announcer: Frank Shain
- Aired On: CBS Sports Saturday (Main Event)
- Saad Muhammad earned a reported $150,000 for the fight, Lopez earned $40,000. 
- Starting with the 9th round, Saad Muhammad won every round going into the 14th and what turned out to be the final round in the scheduled 15-round affair.
- Lopez was knocked down four times in the 14th. After last knockdown referee stopped the bout without counting.
- The Ring Magazine named the bout Fight of the Year for 1980 and the 84th greatest title fight of all-time in 1996.
- The Ring Magazine named the eighth stanza Round of the Year for 1980 and the 8th most exciting round in boxing history in 2001.
- "It was pretty much the toughest fight I've had recently. I went on to prove I'm the undisputed light heavyweight champion. I don't usually look like this. I usually look pretty good. I feel truthfully he had me in trouble. I won't sit here and deny it. But at all times I knew I would be victorious. I was aware of every moment of the fight. The pace was very fast. And I was getting careless. Yaqui is a very experienced fighter but I proved myself to be unbeaten," - Matthew Saad Muhammad said.