Mike Weaver vs. Gerrie Coetzee
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Gerrie Coetzee 227 lbs lost to Mike Weaver 211 lbs by KO at 1:49 in round 13 of 15
- Date: 1980-10-25
- Location: Superbowl, Sun City, North-West, South Africa
- Referee: Jesus Celis 113-117
- Judge: Ove Ovesen 115-116
- Judge: Harmodio Cedeno 114-116
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Weaver)
- As part of its promotional plan, Sun City put up $2.5 million and erected a temporary 18,000-seat arena. Weaver was paid $2.2 million plus 40% of the TV money negotiated by promoter Bob Arum. As the #1 ranked challenger, Coetzee was paid $150,000.
- Coetzee won several rounds early in the fight. Weaver was partially blinded by the liniment that had been rubbed onto Coetzee's chest and shoulders. Between rounds, Weaver's corner worked frantically to cleanse the champion's eyes. In the 8th round, Coetzee hurt Weaver with a right and kept him pinned to the ropes for most of the round. Weaver withstood Coetzee's punches and wore the challenger down. Weaver dropped Coetzee with a right in the 13th round. Coetzee got up, but it was too late: He had failed to beat the referee's count.