Peter Quillin vs. Jesse Brinkley
Peter Quillin 166 lbs beat Jesse Brinkley 166 lbs by TKO at 2:34 in round 3 of 10
- Date: 2011-04-29
- Location: Reno Events Center, Reno, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Burt A Clements
- Judge: Robert Hoyle
- Judge: CJ Ross
- Peter Quillin 23-0 (17 KOs) vs. Jesse Brinkley 35-6 (22 KOs)
- Brinkley was coming off a 9th Round TKO loss six months prior to Lucian Bute for the IBF Super Middleweight Title.
- At 165.5 lbs., Quillin was fighting at his heaviest weight to date.
- It was the fourth knockout loss of Brinkley's professional career.
- It was the 16th knockout victory for Quillin to occur within the first three rounds.
- Brinkley, who was fighting in his home state, was a heavy crowd favorite.
A nondescript opening round swung at 2:02 when Quillin caught Brinkley with a right hand that nearly knocked out Brinkley's mouthpiece and sent him staggering backward. Quillin landed three more solid right hands in the round as Brinkley regained himself quickly and fired back. Quillin landed the cleaner shots in Round 2 while working at a distance with jabs and straight right hands. Quillin continued to find a home for the right hand in Round 3. A cracking right hand at 2:09 caught Brinkley flush nearly dropping him and causing him to stumble across the ring. Referee Joe Cortez momentarily grabbed Quillin, who was going for the knockdown, as if he was going to stop the fight before stepping back and allowing action to continue. Quillin chased Brinkley around the ring throwing, eventually cornering him, and landing several shots to the head which caused the referee to step in and wave an end to the bout.
- "I'm OK. Relax. This guy's got power." - Jesse Brinkley speaking to his corner following the first round.