Pipino Cuevas vs. Randy Shields
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pipino Cuevas 147 lbs beat Randy Shields 142 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Date: 1979-07-30
- Location: International Amphitheatre, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Luis Sulbaran 72-71
- Judge: Albert Tremari 73-67
- Judge: Marco Antonio Rodriguez 72-71
- The fight was postponed four times. It was rescheduled once because Cuevas had a sore throat. The last postponement was caused by an injury to Shields' left arm.
- Cuevas was a heavy betting favorite.
- Cuevas received $80,000, plus a share of Mexican TV revenue. Shields was guaranteed $25,000.
- There were no knockdowns in the bout.
- This was the first time Cuevas was forced to go the distance in a title defense.