Rocky Marciano vs. Lee Epperson
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rocky Marciano 192 lbs beat Lee Epperson 185 lbs by KO at 0:42 in round 3 of 4
- Date: 1947-03-17
- Location: Valley Arena, Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
- Referee: Jack Dekkers
- Judge: Harry French
- Judge: Lester Oberheim
- This was Marciano's pro debut.
- Allie Colombo, Marciano's friend and neighbor, lined up the fight and worked Marciano's corner. Colombo knew a guy, Dick O'Connor, who knew the promoter, Oreal Rainault.
- O'Connor told Marciano and Colombo that the purse would be $50, but when they arrived at the arena the night of the fight, Rainault was offering just $35. Marciano said he would fight for $35 if the promoter paid for his license. Rainault agreed.
- Marciano fought under the name "Rocky Mack" to protect his amateur status. He returned to the amateur ranks after this fight. Marciano ended his amateur career by winning the New England AAU Heavyweight Championship in March of 1948.
- Epperson got the better of the action for two rounds, as Marciano threw wild haymakers that missed their mark. In the third round, Marciano ended the fight with a right uppercut that knocked Epperson through the ropes and out of the ring.
- This was the first and last pro fight for Epperson, who was fighting in his hometown of Holyoke, Massachusetts.