Sandy Saddler vs. Willie Pep (2nd meeting)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Willie Pep 126 lbs beat Sandy Saddler 124 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Date: 1949-02-11
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Eddie Joseph 10-5
- Judge: Jack O'Sullivan 9-6
- Judge: Frank Forbes 9-5
- World Featherweight Championship (1st defense by Saddler)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5, Photo #6, Photo #7
- Saddler was a 7-5 betting favorite.
- A crowd of 19,097 paid $87,563 for the first Madison Square Garden sellout since 1946.
- There were no knockdowns.
- The Associated Press, which scored the fight 9-6 for Pep, reported: "Pep boxed brilliantly all the way against his heavier punching opponent, bouncing in and out with his dazzling array of jabs, hooks and right crosses."
- The United Press reported: "The sell-out crowd that jammed the Garden witnessed one of the finest and bloodiest featherweight battles on record. Both men were smeared with blood and bleeding from face and eye cuts at the final bell."
- The fight was named Fight of the Year by The Ring.
- "Pep Outpoints Sandy Saddler" Associated Press, February 12, 1949
- "Willie Pep Regains Title From Saddler" United Press, February 12, 1949