Siarhei Liakhovich vs. Shannon Briggs
(Redirected from Serguei Lyakhovich vs. Shannon Briggs)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|As of July 2006|
|As of June 2006|
Siarhei Liakhovich 238 lbs lost to Shannon Briggs 268 lbs by TKO at 2:59 in round 12 of 12
- Date: 2006-11-04
- Location: Chase Field, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
- Referee: Robert Ferrara
- Judge: Dennis Nelson 106-103
- Judge: Chris Wilson 105-104
- Judge: Jose Hiram Rivera 106-103
- WBO World Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Liakhovich)
- Bout became official on August 25 (some sources claim September 5).
- Liakhovich was said to not have recovered well enough from the hard Brewster fight.
- Briggs trailing, won the fight with one second left, reminiscent of Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor I.
- Liakohvich down twice in round twelve
- The second knockdown led to Liakhovich falling through the ropes.
- If the referee had allowed the fight to continue after the second knockdown and Liakhovich had come back into the ring within 20 seconds, he would have kept his title with a draw.
- Commentator Joe Tessitore called it "a very distasteful heavyweight bout".
- This is how Belarussian reporter Pavel Baranov described the fight: "Throughout the entire twelve rounds, Liakhovich boxed as if under a tranquilizer - slowly, always letting heavy Briggs catch his breath. There was such a striking contrast with the previous golden fight. As a result, everything turned out so strange that almost half of the forum chatters (including overseas ones) confidently assumed the behind-the-scenes work of Siarhei's boss - that same dark-skinned eccentric guy with a nightmarish hairstyle who cheerfully waved Belarussian flag, walking around the ring before the fight."
Brewster vs. Lyakhovich
| WBO Heavyweight Title Fight
Briggs vs. Ibragimov