Bobby Joe Young
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Outpointed by Thomas Hearns at the Golden Gloves and AAU national tournaments in 1977. Hearns later said: "He gave me some hard fights. I really had to go at it with him."
- Won the Cleveland Golden Gloves Open Division Welterweight Championship in 1980.
- Was the fourth-ranked amateur welterweight in the United States when he turned professional in 1980.
- Called an outstanding prospect who had the talent to become world champion by KO Magazine in 1982.
- Best known as the only man to defeat Aaron Pryor as a professional. Young halted Pryor in seven rounds on August 8, 1987.