Name: Ceferino Garcia
Birth Name: Cipriano Garcia
Hometown: Los Angeles, California, USA
Birthplace: Naval, Biliran, Philippines
Died: 1981-01-01 (Age:74)
Pro Boxer: Record
Managers: Jess Cortez (circa 1932), George Parnassus
Ceferino Garcia Image Gallery
Ceferino Garcia was born in the barangay of Caraycaray in Naval, Biliran, Philippines.
Although he did not invent it, he was the first well-known user of the bolo punch, later made widely popular by Kid Gavilan, although fellow Filipino boxer Macario Flores is the earliest-known practitioner of the bolo punch.
Garcia had a few uncredited Hollywood movie roles in the 1940s. He also worked as a driver and bodyguard for actress Mae West.
- Inducted into the Ring Magazine's Boxing Hall of Fame (1977)
- Inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame (twice!)
- First Filipino to become a Middleweight World Champion and also the heaviest Filipino World Champion.
- Finished with a record of 2-3 (2 KOs) in world title fights.
- Finished with a record of 1-10-2 (1 KO) against former, current, and future world champions:
- Finished with a record of 93-25-8 (67 KOs) in fights outside his native Philippines.
| NYSAC World Middleweight Champion
1939 Oct 2 – 1940 May 23